Sudden Changes

Tomorrow was the first day of  my sophomore year and of course I couldn't sleep. My anxiety was blowing up and I had no clue why. I hadn't been this nervous going into freshmen year.  I couldn't help but wonder if Scott was as nervous as I was. Knowing him, probably not.

Scott was my twin brother, who was older by only 10 minutes, but he always rubbed it in my face. He was one of my two best friends at Beacon Hills High School. I didn't really click with anyone else at the school. They all just seemed too boring or stuck up. Scott had gotten the athleticism out of the two of us, while I got the brains. Sports weren't my thing and Smarts weren't his. Not calling him stupid or anything,  just not your average student.

My other best friend was Stiles Stilinski. We had all met when we were four. I didn't really start talking to him until I was about 10. 

Stiles was the son of the sheriff and he was very smart. He would always stick up for me whenever someone picked on me. Stiles was like another brother to me.  He had the smarts like me but not so much the athleticness that Scott had. Stiles was like a mix of us both.

It was very quiet tonight, almost as if everything in the world had stopped. Unexpectedly, I heard a clang  that made me bounce to my feet. I didn't know exactly what it was, but I wanted to find out. I quickly slipped on my black converse and left my room.

"Scott? Is that you?" A dark figure emerged into the hallway, holding a bat in their hand. "Yea, its me Bree." My name is Aubrey but when we were younger, they couldn't pronounce it right and it always came out as "Bree" and I guess it stuck.  I didn't mind it though.

I chuckled to myself  "I didn't even know you owned a bat, where did you get it from?" He shrugged his shoulder and started slowly making his way down the stairs.

"I Found it."  The darkness wasn't exactly lightening the mood. I could feel my heartbeat thumping from inside my chest. Horror movies were my favorite, but when it came to real horror, I was as useful as a broken toy.

I jumped as a bang came from outside the door. Scott carefully opened the door,  motioning for me to follow him. He held the bat in his hands, prepared to swing at the mysterious sound coming from outside our house.

Out of the blue something falls from our patio rooftop. Scott and I scream in sync.  He rose up the bat, getting ready to swing   before I recognized the culprit. My hands brought the bat down and Scott gave me a curious look. "Scott, It's Stiles." I groaned.

Scott sighed  , letting  go of the bat to face Stiles who was still  hanging by his feet from our roof. "Stiles, what the hell are you doing?!" Stiles lightly swings back and forth while holding his hands out "You guys weren't answering your phones!" He looks at the bat before looking up back at Scott. "Why do you have a bat?"

"We thought you were a predator." He mouth gapes open. "A pre-I-wha-look, I know it's late, but you guys gotta hear this. I saw my dad leave 20 minutes ago." He looked between us before continuing.  "Dispatch called. They're bringing in every officer from the Beacon Department, and even State Police." I set the bat down on the porch and crossed my arms. "For what?" "Two joggers found a body in the woods."Stiles partially flips off the roof and climbs up onto our porch.

"A dead body?" I facepalmed and groaned "Really Scott?" Clearly, he wasn't fully awake yet.  "No, a body of water. Yes, dumb ass, a dead body." I quietly chuckled  at Stiles' comment, earning a glare from Scott.

"You mean like murdered?" He inches his cheek and paces. "Nobody knows yet. Just that it was a girl probably in her 20s." Scott tilted his head at Stiles, obviously just as confused as I was.

"Hold on, if they found the body, then what are they looking for?" I questioned Stiles as he started to grin. "That's the best part." He rubbed  his hands together "They only found half."