It's Matt?

There's this thing about running. How you're not suppose to run away from your problems. It's a race you'll never win. You're always told to face your problems rather than to run away from them. But when the dead alpha rises out of the ground, well alive. You have a reason to run and that's exactly what I was doing.

Thoughts were circling all around my head. My brain couldn't wrap around the fact that Peter just came back alive. I ran up to Stiles' door, panting heavily. Opening the door, I ran upstairs to meet Stiles, his dad, and my brother all in Stiles' room.

"Aubrey, are you okay?" I nodded, still slightly panting.

The sheriff turned back to the book as I stood behind Stiles. "So this kid's the real killer?" Sheriff questioned, pointing to Matt's picture.

Stiles nodded. "Yeah." But the sheriff wasn't convinced. "No." Stiles glanced up at him. "Yes!" The sheriff just shook his head. "No."

"Dad, come on." Stiles stood up. "Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all he had to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

The sheriff nodded. "Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter Kara, wasn't in Harris's class."

Stiles' mouth dropped slightly before he quickly put it back in place. "All right, okay, you're right, sorry. Then i guess they dropped the charges against him?"

The sheriff shook his head. "No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges." Stiles started to do a victory dance. "But that doesn't prove anything."

"H-" Sheriff cut him off. "Scott, do you believe this?" "oh." Stiles threw his hand up.

"It's really hard to explain how we know this, but you just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt."

I nodded. "Yeah, he took Harris's car." The sheriff turned to me. "He knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris's class, that they'd arrest him."

"Alright fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?" The sheriff questioned, glancing between the three of us.

"Isn't it obvious? Our swim team sucks!" I sighed and covered my eyes with my hand. Sometimes Stiles' wasn't the brightest, I swear. "They haven't won in, like, six years. Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

"What do you want me to do?" Stiles looked back at us for an answer. "We need to look at the evidence." Scott stated as the sheriff sighed.

"Yeah, that would be in the station where I no longer work." I'd completely forgotten he didn't work there. Oops.

"Trust me, they'll let you in." "Trust you?" Stiles' dad dryly laughs. Stiles points back to Scott and I.

"Trust Aubrey and Scott." He nodded. "Aubrey and Scott, I trust." Stiles' dad grabbed his coat and we headed to the station

"It's 2:00 in the morning." The deputy stated as we entered the station. "Believe me, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't extremely important.

"We look at the hospital stuff first, okay?" Stiles stated as Scott furrowed his eyebrows. "Why?"

"Because all the murders were committed by Jackson, except for one, you remember?"

Scott thought for a moment. "The pregnant girl, Jessica." Stiles nodded. "Yeah, Since Matt had to kill her himself, somebody from the hospital could've seen him."

Scott was about to reply when the sheriff caught our attention. "Guys." He beckoned us to follow.

Stiles' dad pulled up the hospital camera footage from when Jessica was killed. Many people passed throughout the halls, none of them being Matt. "I don't know guys. I mean look at this, There was a six-car pileup that night, the hospital was jammed."

"All right, just keep going. Look, he had to have passed one of the cameras on that floor to get to Jessica, okay? He's gotta be on the footage somewhere."

Watching the footage closely, I spotted a familiar looking head. Don't ask. "Oh, hold on, stop! Did you see that? Scroll back." Stiles' dad scrolled back to revel Matt, or someone that looked very alike.

"That's him! That's Matt!" Stiles' dad furrowed his eyebrows. "All I see if the back of someone's head."

"Matt's head, yeah. I sit behind him in history. He's got a very distinct cranium, it's weird." I rolled my eyes as Stiles' dad turned around. "Are you crazy?"

"All right, fine, then look at his jacket huh? How many people do you know who wear black leather jackets?" Stiles questioned. "Millions, literally." Stiles' dad stated blankly.

"Okay, can we scroll forward? There's gotta be a shot of him coming at one of the cameras." Sheriff clicks around to the different cameras, we instantly spot "Matt" again. This time he was talking to someone.

"Right there! See there he is again." Stiles pointed at the screen. "You mean there's the back of his head again." Stiles rolled his eyes.

"Okay, but look. He's talking to someone." I looked closer and gasped. "He's talking to our mom." Scott's eyes go wide before he pulls out his phone.

"Scott, Aubrey, you know how many people I deal with in a day?"

"This one's 16. He's got dark hair, looks like a normal teenager." "Yeah he looks evil." Stiles cuts in but mom ignores him.

"Scott, Aubrey, I already talked to the police about this."

"Okay, mom. We're gonna take a picture and send it to you." Scott took a picture of Matt in the yearbook and sent it to mom. "Did you get it?"

"Yeah." She stated bluntly. "Do you recognize him? Do you remember him?"

"Yeah, I did. I mean, I remember I stopped him because he was tracking mud in the hall. Scott, what's going on?"

"It's-It's nothing, mom. I'll explain later. I gotta go." Scott hung up the phone, sheriff pulled out a folder.

"We've got shoe prints alongside the tire tracks at the trailer site." He pulled out a copy of the shoe prints.

"And if they match, that puts Matt as the scene of three murders. The trailer, the hospital, and the rave." Sheriff shook his head.

"Actually, four." He pulled out some kind of report. "A credit card receipt for an oil change was signed by Matt at the garage where the mechanic was killed."

"When?" Stiles and I said simultaneously. "A couple hours before you two got there."

"Alright dad. If one's an incident, two's a coincidence, and three's a pattern, what's four?" Stiles questioned.

"Four's enough for a warrant." Stiles does a victory dance. "Scott, call your mom back, see how quick she can get here. If I can get an official ID, I can get a search warrant. Stiles, Aubrey, go to the front desk. Tell them to let your mom in when she gets here." We nodded. "On it."

Stiles and I ran to the foyer. Looking around, we saw no deputy. "Hello?" Stiles and I looked around. Looking at the ground, I spotted the deputy, bloody and seemed paralyzed. "Stiles." I whispered causing him to look down. We looked back up to see Matt. He was pointing a gun at us, a light smirk on his face.

"She's on her way here." I heard Scott say as we got closer to the room. "Sheriff." The sheriff looked at us as we were forced into the room, Matt not far behind us.

"Matt? It's Matt, right? Matt, whatever's going on,, I guarantee you there's a solution that doesn't involve a gun." Stiles' dad put his hands up.

"You know, it's funny you say that, because I don't think you're aware of just how right you are."

"I know you don't want to hurt people." Matt laughs dryly. "Actually, I wanna hurt a lot of people. You four weren't on my list, but I could be persuaded. And one way is try dialing somebody on your cell phone, like Scott is doing." Scott looked up and stopped dialing.

"That-that could definitely get someone hurt. Everyone. Now!" Sighing, I took out my phone and placed it on the desk.

Matt led us to the jail room, where Stiles' put a handcuff on his dad and handcuffed him to a bar. "Tighter." Matt rolled his eyes. "Do what he says, Stiles." Stiles tightens the cuff, earning a nod of approval from Matt.

We walked down the hallway as Stiles stopped in front of me. Looking down the hall, I saw three dead bodies, specifically cops on the ground. "What, are you gonna kill everyone in here?" Matt snickers.

"No that's what Jackson's for. I just think about killing them, and he does it." He pushes along, the gun pressuring us to move.

Scott and I shredded the last of the paper evidence while Stiles cleared the computer. "Deleted. And we're done. Alright, so, Matt. Since all the people you brutally murdered deserved it because they killed you first-whatever that means- I think we're good here, right? So I'll just get my dad, and we'll go, you know? You continue on the whole vengeance thing. Enjoy the kanima."

Just as Matt was about to respond, I heard a car door shut. "Looks like you're mom is here." He glanced between Scott and I.

"Matt, don't do this. When she comes to the door, I'll just tell her to leave. I'll tell her we didn't find anything. Please, Matt." Matt chuckles.

"If you don't move-now. I'm gonna kill Stiles first, Aubrey second, and then your mom." Scott hesitantly walks forward, us trailing behind.

"Open it." Scott shook his head. "Please." "Open the door." He said more firmly.

Scott slowly opens the door to not reveal my mom, but Derek. "Oh, thank God." Derek stands there for a minute before failing to the ground. Behind him, Jackson was standing there, half kanima.

Matt leans over him. "This is the one controlling him? This kid?"

"Well, Derek, not everyone's lucky enough to be a big bad werewolf. Oh, yeah, that's right. I've learned a few things lately. Werewolves, hunters, kanimas, It's like a frickin' Halloween party every full moon. Except for you, Stiles. What do you turn into?"

"Abominable snowman. But, it's more of a wintertime thing, you know, seasonal." Matt tilts his head and Jackson slashes the back of Stiles' neck.

I growled but Jackson held his hand up. "You bitch." Stiles says as he falls to the ground, on top of Derek.

"Get him off of me." Derek grunts but Matt laughs. "Oh, I don't know Derek. I think you two make a pretty good pair. It must kinda suck though, to have all the power taken away from you with just a little cut to the back of the neck. I bet you're not used to feeling this helpless."

"Yeah, bitch." Stiles mumbled.

Through the windows, I saw a light shine. "Is that her? Do what I tell you to and I won't hurt her. I won't even let Jackson near her."

"Scott, Aubrey, don't trust him!" Matt turned Stiles over and placed his foot down on his chest, applying pressure.

"This work better for ya?" "Stop!, just stop!" I yelled, trying my best not to move.

"Then do what I tell you to." He applies more pressure. "Stop!" He took his foot off as Stiles let in a huge breathe.

"You." He points to Jackson. "Take em' in there and watch her." He points to to Scott. "You-with me." He took Scott out of the room, leaving me with two helpless boys and a crazy snake boy.

Jackson took the boys near the desk, out of sight from the door, watching. I slowly backed up to the chair and he glared. "Don't worry, i'm just sitting down." I sat down on the bench and sighed.

All of a sudden, A felt a sharp pain in my side. I fell down to my knees and groaned. "Aubrey, what's wrong." "Scott! Stiles! Aubrey! What happened?" I heard Stiles' dad yell.

"Scott, Matt shot him." I gripped the wall, standing up. Jackson grabbed my arm and dragged me to the jail area. He placed me next to Stiles' dad before walking away. Stiles' dad saw me and started yelling. "Matt? Matt, listen to me-" Matt cut him off.

"Shut-shut-shut up! Everybody shut the hell up! Now, get up, or I shoot her next." Mom.

Looking up, I saw Matt locking my mom in a jail cell, while Scott was holding his hip. He looked down at me, no emotion on his face.

"Please, they need to see a doctor." Matt smirks. "You think so?" I winced as pain coursed throughout my body.

"Hey, hey you listen to me!" Stiles' dad starts to yell but Scott stops him."It's alright, we're okay."

Mom shakes her head. "No, you two aren't okay." I shook my head and lightly smiled. "It doesn't hurt, mom."

"'Cause that's the adrenaline, okay? Please, let me- let me just take a look at them okay? I mean, I can help stop the bleeding."

"They have no idea, do they?" Matt looked between us. I felt a tear trickle down my face. "Please. Let me just take a quick look I-" Matt cut her off.

"Shut up! Lady, if you keep talking. I'm gonna put the next bullets through both of their heads." Mom puts her hands up and backs away. "Okay. Okay."

"Back to the front." He glared at Scott and I. I quickly stood up but didn't move. "After you." Scott sighed grabbing my wrist, pulling me to the front.

"The evidence is gone. Why don't you just go?" Matt laughs dryly. "You think the evidence mattered that much huh? No,no, I want the book."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What-what book?"

"The bestiary. Not just a few pages, I want the entire thing."

"We don't have it. It's Gerard's. What do you want it for, anyway?" Scott questioned as Matt looked down.

"I need answers." He mumbled under his breath. "Answers for what?"

"To this." He pulls up his shirt to revel a patch of scaly skin. Almost identical to the kanimas.

After showing us his wonderful condition, he led Scott and I to another room.

"There. You know, I feel sorry for the both of you. 'Cause right now, you're thinkin', how are am I gonna explain this when it heals. And you're thinkin' how do I explain that there was no blood after I was shot. And the sad part is, you don't even realize hos incredible it is that you're actually healing. 'Cause you know what happens to everyone else when they get shot? They die." Matt said coldly.

"Is that what happened to you? You drowned, didn't you?" Matt looked down at his feet. "He shouldn't have let them drink."

"What-who-Matt, what do you mean?" I questioned, leaning against the chair. "Lahey! He shouldn't have let them drink."

"What, who was drinking?" Scott questioned, holding his wound.

"The swim team you idiot! I didn't know what was happening. I didn't know they had just won state, and Lahey, he's letting his favorites come over to have a couple drinks to celebrate. Who cares if they're 17 right?" He laughs dryly.

"Were you at Isaac's?" Matt ignored the question. "He had this first edition Spiderman, or was it Batman? And we were gonna make a trade. But then i'm over there and I hear music. And everyone's having a good time, and I see Sean. He throws Jessica in the pool, and then Bennett goes in and-" Scott cuts him of.

"Bennett? What-the hunter?" Matt ignores him once again. "And then Camden. Isaac's jarhead brother, he grabs me. He thinks it's funny." He slightly laughed.

"They threw you in." I stated blankly. Everything was coming together.

"I-I yelled that I can't swim, but nobody listens. I go under and I swallow water, and no one cares. And I see these bodies underwater. I-I see Jessica's got her hands down Sean's board shorts. Tucker's grabbing Kara. And i'm drowning. I'm dying, and they're laughing. All of a sudden, I was just- I'm lying by the pool. And Lahey is right there, right above me, and he says "you tell no one!"

He pauses. ""This, this is your fault!" "What little bastard doesn't know how to swim." And I didn't. I didn't tell anyone. And I would see them at school and they wouldn't even look at me. I'd wake up in the middle of the night. I'd gasp for breath. And my parents, they thought I was an asthmatic. They-they-they even gave me an inhaler." I felt a tear leave my eye and dribble down my face.

Matt continued. "They didn't know what every time I closed my eyes, I was drowning. You know about that little white light that they talk about, you see when you die? Well, I didn't see anything. Just darkness. Everything was dark. But then-then came the Argent's funeral, and everything changed."

"I was taking some photos, and then purely by accident, Lahey gets in one of the photos. I look down a the screen on my camera, and I just had this unbelievable rage that fills up inside of me, and I just- I look at him, and I-I wanna see him dead. And the next day, he actually was."

Matt sickly smiled. "You know, Einstein was right. Imagination is more important than knowledge. It was like something out of Greek mythology. Like-like furies coming down to punish Orestes. You have no idea what i'm talking about do you?"

Scott nods. "Uh, Was-was he the guy who stabbed out his eyes?" I rolled my eyes. "That's Oedipus."

Matt rolled his eyes and continued his rant. "The furies are deities of vengeance. Their tears ran of blood, and they had snakes for hair. If there was a crime that had gone unpunished, the furies would do the punishing. Jackson is my fury." He smiled to himself.

"You know, when I saw him the next night, it was like this bond had been cemented between the two of us. I knew he had killed Lahey for me, and I knew he would do it again. So I went to Tucker's garage. I even paid for an oil change. And guess what. He didn't even recognize me. So when he wasn't looking, I took a shot of him from my camera. And in a few hours, he was dead."

He paused looking at us, trying to read us, only to get nothing. He continued. "So I took more pictures. All I had to do was take their picture- And Jackson would take their life."

Out of nowhere, the power turned off, alarms started going off. "What is this? What is this? What's happening? What's going on?" Matt pointed the gun at us. "I don't know."

All of a sudden, bullets started spraying through the windows. Scott pulled me down and under a desk. "Scott come on." I ushered Scott from out of the desk as a smoke bomb smoked the whole building.

The pain from the bullet had almost completely subsided as I ran through the smoke. I could see Jackson standing in front of the doorway, he didn't see me yet. I ran into his at full speed, throwing him out of my way.

We reached Stiles and Derek. I started to help Stiles' up while Scott helped Derek. "Watch him. I'm getting Stiles' out of here." Scott nodded as I wrapped my arm around Stiles' shoulders.

Running through the doorway, I could hear Jackson following us. I turned around the looked the doors behind us, only to hear Jackson break them down. I got to the final door and it seemed that Jackson had given up.

"Don't move." Stiles glared at me as I placed him on the chair. "You know what I mean." I ran out of the door and down the hallway. I was stopped by Allison holding a bow and arrow, pointed straight at me.

"Oh, sh-Allison." Allison held a blank expression on her face. "Where's Derek?"

"What are you doing?" I furrowed my eyebrows. "If you're not going to tell me, then get out of my way."

Something was different. "Allison."

"Where is he." She didn't move her bow.

"What happened?" Allison shook her head. "Aubrey, you need to stay away from me right now. You and your brother. I need to go. Just stay out of my way." Allison pushed past me.

All of a sudden, I felt a small pain in my head. I winced and ran towards Scott. "Someone's in trouble." I let my claws come on, along with my eyes and teeth. I wasn't a fan of the facial hair.

"Come on." We walked towards the jail to see the kanima hanging on the jail cell my mom was in. Without thinking, I ran forward and lunged my claws into its back. It hissed and turned to face Scott and I.

"Scott? Aubrey? Are you okay?" Looking up, I saw my moms face. Filled with horror as she watched Scott and I stand in front of her. She slowly backed up, continuing to stare at us. Scott grabbed my wrist and pulled me away. We ran straight into Derek.

"Aubrey, to the bridge. Now." Void Aubrey's voice rang throughout my head. "Scott, i'll be back." He nodded as I ran out the station.

Running, I finally made it to the bridge. Seeing Gerard and Matt. I felt someone pull me back. Looking up I saw Peter. I turned my attention back to Gerard.

"It's my turn Matt." Gerard grabbed Matt's shirt and shoved his head underwater. I tensed up, wanting to help him but Peter held my wrist, watching them intensely. Gerard let go of Matt, who wasn't moving. Gerard killed him.

I heard a hiss come out from under the bridge. Just barley, I could see the kanimas eyes peering at Gerard. "No longer afraid of the water? Well, you don't have to be afraid of anything, my friend. Especially me." Gerard took his glove off and held out his hand.

The kanima stalked closer and held its hand to Gerard's. I quietly gasped. "Come on." Peter pulled me away from the traumatic scene.

I couldn't believe it. Gerard was with the Kanima and no one knew but Peter and I. Just as the drama ended a new patch sprouted. You know what they say. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer and that's exactly what Gerard was doing.

Turns out it was Matt all along.  He was pretty sketchy if you ask me. But why does Gerard want the kanima? Who knows. Hope you all enjoyed the chapter.

Remember, Don't be a silent reader :) 

Word Count: 3819