A Kanima?

I fell of my bed as my phone rang loudly. Groaning, I reached up and grabbed it looking at the time. Stiles' face was plastered on the screen.

"Stiles it's 2 in the morning. What could you possibly want?" He chuckled into the phone.

"Well i'm outside your house. I feel like we haven't had any quality alone time together so I was wondering if you wanted to go for a walk with me. I have to pick up my jeep from the shop."

I rolled my eyes. "You have to pick your jeep up at 2am?"

"It's a 24 hour mechanic." He said blatantly.

I sighed. "Well since you woke me from my peaceful slumber, I guess i'll tag along. Give me 5 minutes." I hung up the phone and slipped on my shoes, along with one of Stiles' sweatshirts that I stole um borrowed.

I carefully walked downstairs, making sure not to wake Scott or my mom and slipped out the front door, gently closing it behind me.

Stiles was sitting at the end of the driveway playing with the strings of his sweatshirt. He looked up as I walked closer to him and smiled, standing up.

"Is that one of my sweatshirts?" He asked as he intertwined my hand with his. I giggled and nodded. "Maybe."

He smiled. "Well keep it, it looks better on you anyway." I smiled and leaned into Stiles as we walked through the cold night.

We arrived at the mechanics to see him working on Stiles' car. Stiles pulled me along as he rushed into the work place. "Hey! Hey? Wh-what do you think you're doing? All I needed was a starter."

The mechanic shrugged, continuing to work. "Yeah, but it looks like your whole exhaust system has got to be replaced here." Stiles huffed and looked up at the mechanic.

"Why do I get the feeling you're slightly over-estimating the damage?" He glared at the mechanic.

The mechanic thought for a minute. "It's probably gonna run you around like twelve-hundred parts and labor." Stiles gasped.

"Are you kidding? This thing doesn't have a catalytic converter. And yes, I know what a catalytic converter is." The mechanic stopped and looked down at Stiles.

"Do you know what a limited slip differential is?" He raised his eyebrows as Stiles searched for the words. "I-No."

He returned back to the jeep. "Yeah, coming on more like fifteen-hundred."

Stiles sighed and pulled me along. "Just finish. I'll be back here, seething with impotent rage!" He whispered the last part as he grabbed the door handle.

He retracted his hand. "Oh. Nice. It's a real sanitary. Quality establishment you're running here." He yelled.

I pushed him back. "It's probably just oil or something." I grabbed the door handle and opened it. The substance on it was sticky, but it wasn't oil.

I wiped my hand on the sweatshirt as Stiles shut the door behind him. "Figures." He muttered looking at a younger version of the mechanic as a lacrosse player.

My hands had started to shake. "Stiles." He looked over at me and dropped his phone, his hands shaking. "What's going on." He panicked.

I shook my head. I looked over at the garage to see a claw on top of Stiles' jeep. "Hey!." I yelled but he couldn't hear me. "Hey! Hey!" I tried to walk to the door but my legs gave out. I couldn't move any inch of my body, it was as if I was paralyzed.

I feel on top of Stiles, I hadn't even noticed he fell. He let out a groan beneath me. "You know, I don't mind my girlfriend being on top of me but I wasn't expecting it to be like this."

I chuckled. "Try dialing 911." He reached his hand out to his phone and pressed the 9 button.

I looked at the garage and the mechanic was on the ground, under the car lift that was slowly descending above him. "Stiles hurry!"

"I'm trying!" He shouted. The car lift was about to crush him. "Stiles!"

But it was too late. The car lift had crushed the life out of the man. "911 what's your emergency."

Before we could answer a creature popped in front of us and hissed. I thought it was going to kill us but it leaped away and left. It resembled a snake.

"We need help." Was all I could mutter out.

By the time the police had gotten here, I had regained the feeling in my body and was able to move it. I could still feel the sensation in my hands.

Stiles had his arm around me as we sat on the edge of the ambulance. His dad had come over to us asking us about what happened.

"I told you, We just walked in and saw the jeep on top of the guy, that's all." I nodded in confirmation.

Stiles shook his hand. "What's wrong with your hand?" Sheriff glanced at Stiles' hand before looking back up at us. Stiles shook his head. "Nothing. Can we just get out of here now?"

"Look, if there's something you don't think you guys can tell me-" I cut him off. "You think we're lying."

He shook his head. "No, of course not. I'm just worried about you two. Now, if you two saw someone do this, if you're afraid that maybe they're gonna come back and make sure you don't say anything about it-" Stiles cut him off.

"We didn't see anything. At all. Can we go now please?" If only he knew what we had saw.

"Sure. But not in your jeep. We're gonna have to impound it." Stiles threw his hands out. "Sorry kid, evidence. I'll see you at home." He groaned.

I nudged his shoulder. "That means more walking for us." I smiled at him. He shook his head. "I wish, but we have to tell Scott." I nodded sadly. I missed having alone time with Stiles. He called Scott and told him to come pick us up.

Scott got here in less then 10 minutes and we pilled into the car. "You two okay?" I nodded. "Yeah. Derek and you were right. It's not like us." Scott turned around to face me.

"I mean, it's eyes were almost like, reptilian. But there was something about them." The eyes reminded me of someone but I couldn't think of who.

"What do you mean?" I shook my head.

"You know when you see, like, a friend or someone you know in a Halloween mask, but all you can actually see are their eyes and you feel like you know them but you just can't figure out who it is?" Scott nodded. "Are you saying you know who it is?"

I shook my head. "No, but I think it knew us." Stiles nodded as Scott drove us back home.

Once we were home, just as I was about to walk through the door, I stopped. "Aubrey, are you coming." Scott stopped behind me.

I shook my head and started walking towards the road. "No, there's something I have to do first."

Scott grabbed my wrist, I turned to face him. "Where are you going?" I pulled my wrist out of his grip. "Don't worry about it." I took off running down the street, ignoring Scott's calls and protests.

Derek had to know about what happened tonight. I walked down the stairs to see Derek throw Isaac into the wall. "Are we done? I got about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heal." Derek walked over to Isaac and knelt down.

He grabbed his arm and twisted it, breaking it. "A hundred and one. You think I'm teaching you how to fight? Huh? Look at me! I'm teaching you how to survive!" Derek yelled and stood up.

"If they wanted us dead why aren't they coming for us now? What are they waiting for?"

Derek shook his head. "I don't know. But they're planning something. And you, especially, know that's not our only problem. Whatever that thing is that killed Issac's father, I think it killed someone else. Until I find out what it is, you all need to learn everything that I know. As fast as I can teach you."

"Well you're not wrong about it killing someone." All eyes turned to me as I walked closer. Derek walked towards me. "You saw it."

I nodded. "I saw everything." I walked over and sat down on the picnic table. "It was like a snake, it's eyes yellow with slits. It's skin was scaly. And I think it paralyzed us."

Derek crossed his arms. "What do you mean?"

"There was this substance on the door, it was slimy and sticky. A couple seconds after I touched it, My legs gave out and I couldn't move." I looked at my hands. "I can still feel it."

"Was it strong?" Erica asked, standing up off the floor. I shook my head. "I don't know. It just slit the back of the mechanics neck and he instantly fell. It did have this rather long tail though."

"But there was one other thing." I furrowed my eyebrows. "I think it knew me."

The next day at School, I had been trying to find Stiles and Scott. I walked downstairs to see them sitting at the bottom.

"I know because I love you. I love you more than-" "Ouch Stiles you're falling for my brother now. I didn't know you swung for that team." I smirked as Stiles and Scott looked up. Stiles groaned.

"No thats not- oh my God. I can't- You and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate."

"Come on, you guys are the only ones that we can trust. Is she coming to the game tonight?" Scott pleaded.

Stiles nodded. "Yes! Okay, message complete. Now, tell me about your boss?"

Scott looked around before turning to us. "He thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of, uh, record of all the things that they're hunted. Like a book." He whispered.

Stiles clapped his hands together. "He probably means a bestiary."

"What?" Scott furrowed his eyebrows.

"A bestiary." Scott chuckled. "I think you mean bestiality." I covered my mouth to prevent me from laughing.

"Nope, pretty sure I don't. It's like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures."

Scott crossed his arms. "How am I the only one who doesn't know anything about this stuff."

"Because I'm the smart twin." He glared at me. "Okay, you're my best friend, you're a creature of the night, it's kind of like a priority of mine."

Scott shook his head and nodded. "Okay. if we can find it, and it can tell us what this thing is-" Stiles cut him off. "And who."

"We need that book!" We all said at the same time.

I had met up with Allison and asked her about the book. "I think you mean b-" I cut her off.

"No, I mean bestiary. And the two of you, I really don't want to know what's going on in your heads." She smirked.

"Okay, um. Can you describe this thing?"

"Um, it's probably like a book. Old, worn." She thought for a moment.

"Like, bound in leather?" I smiled. "Exactly."

I quickly ran through the hallways, trying to find Stiles and Scott. I saw them at the end of the hallway and grabbed onto their shoulders. "She believes her grandfather has one. We have a plan to get it as well."

The plan was that Allison was going to have her grandfather come to the lacrosse game and get the keys to his office.

We were at the game and I was sitting next to Allison. Our team was getting brutally beat because of this mammoth of a guy on the field.

Jackson stopped Scott. I leaned forward to listen to their conversation. "McCall, what the hell are you waiting for? This is the semi-finals. Bring that 'roid-head into the ground."