Winter Cabin - Part 2

The night passed without hiccup. Laying in your bed and hearing Niall moving around in the room next to you caused some form of distress but other than that, you slept soundly. When you woke and rubbed the sleep out of your eyes, you stumbled your way down the cold wooden steps and into the kitchen to start a kettle.

"Shit."

The muffle curse had you pausing as you filled the kettle and lifting your head. Setting it aside, you moved down the hall to the front door.

"Niall, what are you doing?" A shiver had you wrapping your arms around yourself, pulling the ends of your sweater down over your fingers.

"Look at this!" he spluttered, gesturing to the wall of white before you.

"Holy shit is right." You brushed past him, looking at the now nearly invisible car that sat in the drive way. "How much snow do you think we got?"

"An easy two foot. We won't be leaving today."

In a way you were almost glad for it. It was rare that you had any time alone like this with Niall, and now you were able to take advantage of it. He slammed the front door, kicking off the snow that clung to the end of his sweats. He looked adorably rumpled and you couldn't stop the smile that spread across your face.

"Quit smiling like that at me," he laughed, giving you a light shove. "We're going to die out here in the wilderness. Alone."

"You're a drama queen, has anyone ever told you that? We aren't going to die," you said, leading him into the kitchen. "I'm quite resourceful."

"Oh? And what're you gunna do then?" he asked, bracing himself on the counter. He watched you lift the kettle off the stove and pour it into two matching mugs.

You smiled at him, sliding his mug of tea before him. "Don't worry. I'll take care of you."

He snorted before he took a small sip of his tea. "Right, like that'll happen. Would you like to chop the wood for the stove, princess?"

You sat your mug aside and grinned at him, arms spread wide. "Show me where you keep it."

He did laugh then. "Absolutely not. I'm a gentleman, I'll not send you out there to freeze or get eaten by a bear or some such thing. I'll chop the wood."

"You aren't going alone," you argued. "What if you get swept away in another storm?"

Pointedly, he looked to the window which show cased a brilliant blue sky. "I think I'll be fine," he said in amusement.

"Where you go, I go. I can help."

He studied you over the rim of his cup, the last bits of amusement clinging to his features. When he drained its contents, he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"Alright. Why don't you go put some clothes on," he said slowly, eyes raking down the thin shirt and low clinging bottoms you had on, "and meet me back down here in twenty?"

Acutely aware of his skin brushing against your arm as he passed, you nodded. When he was clear of the room, you collapsed against the counter and released a breath you hadn't realized you'd been holding.

Your relationship with Niall...how to describe it? It started simply. Mutual friends led to hang outs that found you both together. From there, it transitioned into something like chemistry between the two of you. Like magnets, you seemed to pull together even when you didn't mean to. And maybe, sure, there was a spark that seemed to go off when you were in a room alone together but there was nothing spoken about it. But here, locked away together indefinitely at the moment...

"Get your shit together," you chastised yourself. Sprinting up the stairs, you pulled off PJ's and slid into your thermals and then tugged your jeans on top. Niall had demanded that you bring snow pants. It seemed ridiculous at the time, but now you were grateful for is suggestion. Working last night's tangles from your hair, you tied it back into a pony tail and grabbed your sweater.

"Come on, lumberjack!" he hollered up the stairs. "Let's go get some wood."

Wobbling down the stairs, you met him by the front door. "I'm ready!"

He stared at you for a moment, working his tongue over his teeth in thought. He grabbed a hat off the coat rack and slipped it down over your pony tail.

"You look kind of cute," he grinned, giving your scarf a tug. "Cutest lumberjack I've ever seen."

"Tell me, do you find yourself in the company of many lumberjacks?"

"I might have to start," he laughed. "Smart ass. Come on."

You followed him out, immediately sinking into the powder on the ground. The sun broke the few remaining clouds and greeted you both. Niall took a long arm and brushed the snow back from the car, revealing a frozen windshield.

"What a mess," he muttered, working more of the snow back. "Could you help with this?"

"I could. I could," you said pensively. "Or, we could leave the car because the snow on the trees is just going to cover it back up and you and I could do something fun."

His flushed cheeks poked out over the hood of the car and he met your stare with speculation. "Something fun? Like what? I thought you wanted to chop wood, little lumberjack." He stood and brushed the snow off his black pants and moved towards you.

The sun reflected off the snow and settled directly in his eyes. It left you almost breathless as he crossed the small space and stopped directly before you. Small flakes clung to his lashes and cheeks, making him look impossibly young and boyish and utterly, utterly adorable.

"In due time," you said as calmly as you could. "I think we should take advantage of this. We did come up here to sled and snowboard, so why don't we do it?"

He pulled his glove off and reached his hand out to your cheek. "Snowflakes," he said softly, brushing the snow away.

Could he hear your heart beating? You were almost sure that he could. High up in the mountains, you were sure the entire valley could hear the erratic pulses inside your chest.

"You're going to be a bad influence on me, I can feel it," he teased, casting one last look back at his car.

"You have," you said slowly, eyes flicking to his, "no idea."

His breathing hitched and his eyes fell to your lips. His gaze lingered there for a moment, his tongue darting out to lick his lower lip.

You returned his smirk and took a step back, causing him to stumble forward an inch.

"So sledding?" you asked on a small laugh.

"Right," he huffed, plowing a hand through his hair. "Sledding."

______________________________________

Lol, I'm @ a wedding right now

That was part 2! If you want Part 3, please vote because the faster you vote, the faster you get the next part. If this gets 15 votes, I'll post the 3rd part.

Thanks for reading and voting x

- J x