Winter Cabin - Part 3

Niall loved to laugh. Everyone knew that. He had one of those faces that simply stated he was a happy person but today, out on the hills with you, he had never laughed so hard in his life. His laugh bounced off the trees, the open hills and into the sky where only happy memories were held.

"How's your arse?" he asked, biting back another laugh. He led the way back to the house, his tired muscles dragging back the sleds he had fetched from the shed earlier that day.

You turned and glared at him, hand falling protectively to the bum that had taken the brunt of too many falls. "It's fine."

"You sure? You wiped out pretty hard trying to stand and sled."

He'd never forget how you looked standing on the bright red sled with your hands in the air and your laughter riding on the wind. He stood on top of the hill, arms folded across his chest with something he didn't like starting to bloom inside his chest.

"The snowboard was broken. What else was I supposed to use?" you grumbled, dropping your wet gloves by the front door.

"You probably just should have sat down." He tugged his hat off, brushing his blonde hair out of his eyes. Both of you were soaked through from wiping out on the hills.

"Whatever. It worked well for a while."

He watched you shrug off your jacket, untie your scarf and shimmy out of your giant snow pants. You brought your bright eyes to his and suddenly damn, did he truly see you. Bright, happy eyes, flushed, cherry red cheeks. Glistening lips, damp hair, an exhausted body that was cold and frozen through but yet you were still laughing. Had he never seen you until this very moment with snow still clinging to your hair?

"I can't feel any part of my body," you shivered, brushing the last of the snow from your shoulders.

"You can use my tub if you'd like," he said hoarsely. The glimmer in your eyes told him he had suggested the right thing. "I'll fix it up for you, just give me a minute."

This time, when he brushed past you, he dropped his hand to your hip and gently moved you out of the way. His skin burned against the frozen flesh of your hip and radiated straight up into your chest.

————————-

Two hours and a soak in Niall's tub later, you found yourself finally with feeling back in your fingers and toes. His tub had been glorious, he'd even lit a candle or two with you. His shampoo bottles lined the lip and you'd washed with those, hoping he wouldn't mind.

Smelling like him, you slipped on your leggings and sweater and trotted back down the stairs and into the living room. Niall was hunched over, feeding more logs into the fire.

"When did you chop that?" you asked accusingly, pointing to the massive pile of wood on the floor.

"When you were showering," he tossed you a grin over his shoulder. "I couldn't wait for you to finish up. I was actually going to check and see if you'd drowned."

"I was going to help!"

"I know, lumberjack princess. This is just for tonight, you can chop tomorrows."

You eyed the large pile of wood speculatively. That was just for tonight? Niall added the last log and stood back, brushing his hands on his jeans. He'd showered, you'd realize. The ends of his hair were still damp. When he turned to face you, he frowned.

"Aren't you cold? That sweater isn't very thick."

You glanced down to the white sweater that clung to you. It wasn't that thick, no, but with the fire roaring you were sure you'd be plenty warm.