Chapter 1 - The Journey Begins

(story picks up in chapter 3, this is just the background story for Lux Tenebra.
Please remember to Vote if you liked the Chapter. - Author.)

In the slums of Golden City, everything is quiet, save for the activities of common criminals exercising their craft.
The sun had set hours ago and the moon is high, people are sleeping peacefully in bed, when a loud bang shatters the quiet night air.
A young 9 year old boy with black hair, blue eyes and an average body runs through the winding streets like the hounds of hell are chasing behind him.
He runs round a corner into an alley where he tries to catch his breath.
He gasps "A little too much firework powder, nearly blew my hand clean off.
Next time I need to use less."

An angry girls voice sounds from the shadows at the end of the alley. "Next time I will thump your ears Lux Tenebra, you woke the entire Slums with your trickery."

Lux turns and sees a 10 year old girl with blonde hair, blue eyes and a thin body glaring at him, he smiles at her while saying in mock surprise "Aerin what are you doing out at this time of night?
You should be in bed, your mom will be worried."

Aerin huffs and stomps her feet.
She furiously says "My mother will be worried?
What about your mother and brother?
You know Seff will be upset when he finds out you went out at night without him."

Seff is the 10 year old adopted brother of Lux, who has brown hair, green eyes and an muscular body for his age.

Lux shrugs and mutters "Seff would have slowed me down, he is too big.
He is better suited to be a warrior than a rogue anyway."

Aerin scowls at him and snaps "Well lets get home anyway before we get into anymore trouble tonight.
Isn't it your birthday tomorrow?
Just in time for the Power Hall Potential Test, right?"

Lux and Aerin start walking home as quickly and quietly as they can through the misty streets using only the moonlight to see by.

Lux laughs "Hahaha, yes it is.
I'm excited to find out if I have any power so i can become a mage.
Do you think you have any power?
You are 10 years old, the minimum age requirement."

Aerin shrugs and says " I hope I am a healer as I don't like fighting.
What about you?"

Lux spreads his arms and waves them a little while saying "I hope to be a air mage as i would like to fly in the sky and use gusts of wind to blow away people who try to hurt me.
That way i can protect you, Seff and Mum."

They reach Aerin's home which is next door to Lux's house.

Both houses are rundown wooden houses with leaky roofs and worn paint.

Lux says to Aerin "Well, have a good night sleep before tomorrows test. Night."

He then gives her a quick hug and Aerin pushes him away while blushing.
She says "... Well good night, also you will tell me what you were doing tonight, in the morning?"

Lux laughs and says "fine, i was putting a firecracker under Little Johns bed.
Hahahaha, you should have seen his face!
Jiggling all over, Hahaha.... Ahem."

Aerin glares and says "This is why he beats you.
You do know this right?"

Lux shrugs and says "He would do it anyway, might as well get my own back.
Well its late and I am tired so I am going to bed, goodnight beautiful."

Lux then enters his house and quickly closes the door on Aerins red face.

Aerin raises her fist and says "I will get you tomorrow for embarrassing me, Lux.
Just you wait and see."