Chapter 19

Nani’s POV

                I quickly turned the page and sniffed away the tears threatening to escape my eyes again. The shower was still running and slight steam made the air a little more humid. I bit my lip and gently chewed it as I began reading the next page.

Page 6: Dear Journal,

                It’s been a while since I have written anything here… I am now 15 years old and a lot has happened apparently since my last journal entry a couple of years ago. Well my memory is a bit sketchy so allow me to tell you what I remember.

So I had gone to a foster home and I sunk into depression. I hated everyone but mostly I hated myself and life in general and I never allowed myself to get close to anyone. My parents have died and my brother went missing for a couple years. But one day I finally figured out where Greg had disappeared to.

                One day a cop came to my foster house and asked to speak to me. I had turned into the bad boy who never listened to anyone and got tattoos and piercings and hardly ever spoke. I got into street fights and got into trouble with the cops frequently so I easily recognized this guy. He was the guy who slapped me on the day that I found out my parents were dead.

                He escorted me to the morgue at the police station which freaked me out a bit, making me think he was going to kill me or something and make it look like an accident like I have seen on the horror movies. He didn’t do that though; he just pulled out body number 243 and peeled off the cover. There was my brother lying on the cold table, lifeless and cold. I think I would rather the cop kill me now.

                The cop’s voice seemed distant as I heard him explain that when Greg ran to go get help, he was hit by a car and put into a coma for a few days before his life support was cut. I felt dizzy and I ended up puking which made the cop angry. He punched my gut and then yelled at me asking if it was my brother and this time I fought back and screamed ‘Yes!’ as I tackled the cop and beat him up.

                I ran from the detectives’ office and ran home as fast as I could unable to prevent the tears anymore. I slammed my fists into the walls and found enjoyment in the pain of my bloody knuckles. I screamed in frustration and finally after sitting in the bathroom I knew I wasn’t meant to live on this world anymore. I had no purpose.

                I snuck out at midnight and stole my foster parent’s car. I sped down the roads and I knew exactly where I was going. I was going to the bottom of Willow River which actually wasn’t a river anymore considering it had dried out years ago. Now it was just a bottomless pit for the worthless like me.

 I no longer had any tears after crying for so long. Instead I just sped down the road with determination written all over my face. I approached the bridge and slammed my foot against the gas pedal. The last thing I remember was the waking up in an ambulance as pain shot through me.

One cannot bear to describe the pain I felt. I can still remember it to this day if I think hard enough. However, the car crash caused me to lose %90 percent of my memory. The only things I remembered where the nightmares that haunt my mind and what I have written in the small book.

One thing is for sure, is I am never going back to that foster home. Tonight, I will break out of the hospital and I will run as far as the wind will take me and never look back.

-End of Page 6-

Oh my gosh…. I never knew Niall went through so much trauma.