Chapter 23

Niall’s POV

                I can’t believe I had let my guard down so willingly. I was sobbing in Nani’s arms and just clinging to her like some dumb child clings to his mother as if she could ever protect him. I sobbed violently into her shoulder more at the thought of being so weak.

                She didn’t laugh at me, she didn’t tease me about being a baby, but instead she told me she was not afraid of me and she held me close to her. It was getting harder to breathe as I sobbed and hiccupped. I fisted her shirt tightly and then thoughts rummaged through my mind.

                If Harry’s dad, my dad, ever saw me like this I would be killed on the spot. Or no actually they wouldn’t kill me, he would shoot me and torment my every waking moment making me realize why crying is a weakness. Why you cry it’s like you are exposed and that is not acceptable for a man like me.

                Maybe I just had to remind myself of who I was made to be. Tonight there was a job that I had been requested to do; I would need the money anyway because Nani’s ex-boyfriend wasn’t paying much for me to kidnap her. Tonight I will kill and I will be merciless.

                Nani’s touch was cold compared to my skin which had cooled down after burning myself. She had been rubbing my back for the past fifteen minutes while I sobbed until now just having tears glaze my eyes. She stopped rubbing my back and trailed her fingers down my sides lightly until she came to the first burn. I winced in reaction and tried to pull away but she wouldn’t let me.

                She wrapped a leg in between mine to keep me immobile and then traced around the burn slowly. “I can help you.” She finally whispered. I shook a bit, probably from the pain that I was trying to forget about.

                “I don’t want your help; I want the pain to stay. I’m alright…” I said with my voice barely cracking. I closed my eyes feeling defeated by myself. I was weak and weakness is a wound that no one wants to speak of.

                “I know you’re not alright Niall.” She said with a soft gentle tone. I felt like losing it again but I refused to let myself sob anymore. I couldn’t keep the small single tear back though as it rolled down me cheek slowly.

                She raised her hand up slowly and placed it on my cheek as her thumb stroked away the tear. I refused to open my eyes and look at her but I could tell she was looking at my closed eyelids. 

                “So what if I’m not alright? So what if I’m broken inside? I’m the guy who kidnapped you Nani. I think you’re foolish and naïve for not being scared of me.” I said finally, gaining the courage to open my eyes and look at her with an emotionless expression on her face.

                I had not expected to see sadness on her face. Why was she sad? She simply took a deep breath and looked in my eyes. I had to admit, her brown eyes had a mesmerizing effect on me but I would never let her know that.

                She didn’t answer my questions or shoot back with an insult like I had so desperately hoped for. Instead she did something I would have never imagined her to do. She closed her eyes and did something that I would have never expected a kidnapped girl to do.

She gently leaned in and placed a small wet kiss on my forehead, willingly letting her soft lips linger.