Chapter 22

Nani’s POV:

                My breathing was shaking as I listened through the door for any sign of life and I could hear my heart rate going incredibly fast and I wondered if I was the only one who could hear it. “N-Niall?” I squeaked out finally as tears threatened my eyes.

                Finally to my relief I heard Niall sit up and let out the softest groan possible. “I will be right out, just let me get dressed princess then the bathroom is all yours.” His thick Irish voice finally managed to croak out. My heart skipped a beat and the sound of his voice and I thought I would pass out from the relief that overwhelmed me.

                I walked back over to the bed and sat on the edge, biting my lip gently wondering if he had really hurt himself. Maybe I was just over reacting? I then shook my head as I glanced back at the door. There was way too much steam for just a normal shower. I was dying of anticipation as I waited for Niall to come out of the shower and I felt like screaming with happiness when the door unlocked.

                Niall stepped out of the door looking like he was in pain with every move he made. I couldn’t see his burns because he had put on a long sleeve shirt and some jeans and I could only imagine the pain that would be caused by the clothes rubbing up against his burns. I stood up once I saw him and he refused to look at me as he leaned up against the wall. I caught a glimpse of his eyes and I no longer so the monster he claimed to be. All I saw was innocence

                “Niall I know you’re hurting, please let me help you. I won’t hurt you I promise…” I said as I slowly walked towards him. He immediately flinched away. I could see his anger start to rise but I wasn’t going to let that scare me away. I gently grabbed his hand. “Niall let me help you.” I said softly.

                Niall tried to yank away but I tightened my grip on him. Suddenly he began to freak out and he kept trying to pull away from me. “Let me go!” he screamed and I didn’t answer but his yanking was hard to control so I pulled him into my arms and held onto him tightly.

                That didn’t stop him from thrashing around though. “Niall stop that! All you are doing is creating more pain for yourself and you don’ deserve that!” I screamed as I closed my eyes and held him close to me. Niall’s thrashing caused us to crash onto the floor, knocking the wind out of me, but I still didn’t let go. I could tell he was trying not to hurt me though.

                Suddenly, Niall just started sobbing and stopped thrashing. “Let me go! Pain is my only friend!” he screamed as he clung to me like a child. I closed my eyes and rubbed his back gently as he sobbed into my chest.

                Tears came to my eyes but I held them back as I thought about what he has had to go through and I could see how much it has affected him over the years. The man who claimed to be a horrible monster but yet sat here sobbing because he felt like he needed all of the pain because of how he was raised.

                After about ten minutes Niall finally started to calm down and he just held me as he sniffled. I looked at him and gently placed my hand on his cheek and stroked it with his thumb. His eyes were red and puffy and he didn’t want to look at me.

                I remembered his burns so I slowly slid my hand away from his cheek and put both of my hands at the bottom of his shirt. He tensed up a bit and I lightly slid my hands under his shirt and slowly slid it upwards. He complied and his shirt came off easily.

                I tossed his shirt aside and looked down at his body. He has well defined abs as I lightly traced my fingers over them. His upper body was burnt fairly badly as some flesh had started to peel away from his sides. He winced as I gently moved my hand over them. I looked at him slowly and my heart skipped a beat. Damn, he was gorgeous….

                I tried to shake the thoughts from my mind but they refused to leave. Niall really was good looking despite the burns. It made me sad thinking about he loved to hurt himself so much but it hurt me worse because I knew he felt as if he deserved it when he doesn’t.

                Niall still refused to look in my eyes but I saw pain and sadness outlining his beautiful blue eyes. He gently put his face in the crook of my neck and nuzzled it gently as he held me close to him. We laid there on the floor just holding each other, neither one of us daring to make a move.

Niall was perfect despite his flaws, I only wish he knew that.