Chapter 42

Niall’s POV:

               I sat on the edge of the couch, staring blankly at the white wall as time escaped me. My jaw was clenched shut as her eyes wouldn’t leave my mind. The memories moved like a super eight film in my mind, taking pictures at an eighth of a second and turning it into a flickering memory. Maybe hours passed or maybe it was simply a few minutes that had gone by when I finally looked up.

               Nani stood there in the doorway, watching me with a sad smile. When I saw her I felt multiple things. I felt guilt for getting her hurt, I felt my heart skip a beat at the mere sight of her, and I felt myself jump slightly as she had scared the shit out of me. She giggled softly and walked over to sit beside me but I tensed up.

               “What’s wrong Niall?” She whispers softly, wrapping an arm around me and looking at me concerned. Did she not remember what had happened? I bite my lip slowly and looked away, staring down at my feet shamefully.

               She sighed rubbing the tensing muscles in my back with a calm, gentle hand. “Niall….It’s okay, it didn’t hurt that bad. I know you had to do it.” She whispers gently next to my ear, pressing her lips gently to my temple.

               Every instinct I have ever had told me to get up. To walk away and that would protect her from getting hurt. Sometimes though, life can really surprise someone. Before I could stop myself, I turned to her quickly, placing my hand on her cheek and guiding her lips to mine. The moment we touched it was like a fire and no matter how much my head screamed at me to stop, I felt myself pulling her closer. Like a lighthouse guides its ships to safety, my lips guided hers to love.

               She was shocked at first but that didn’t stop her from immediately kissing back, closing her eyes to the world around us. She climbed slowly onto my lap and wrapped her arms around my neck smoothly. I wrapped my arms protectively but gently around her waist, pulling her body closer to mine into there was only enough space to breathe. Her fingers tangling in my hair, tugging softly, made me only kiss her harder, deeper, with a passion I can’t explain. 

               “Niall…” she gasped, pulling away for a moment. I looked at her for a moment, thinking I hurt her and immediately tensing up. She was panting and she chuckled softly. “Slow down, we have all the time in the world.” She whispered. I relaxed, feeling a smirk rise on my face but a drop in my heart at her choice of words. 

               I stroked her sides gently, not wanting to think about when her ex-boyfriend would be coming to get her. In this moment however a decision was made that I would fight him. I would fight so she could be free and if that meant dying in the process…I would be willing to take that risk. 

               She looked at me with a curious smile, probably seeing my expression, so I smiled back at her. I would never forgive myself for letting her get hurt but I wasn’t about to let that ruin my last days with her.  She closed her eyes, leaning in so her cheek brushes against my skin. I melted against her touch and pulled her a little closer to my chest. 

               “Niall, would it be bad if I said I may kind of, sort of, possibly be in love with you?” She whispered with a smile and a cute blush that was painted on her cheeks. I chuckled softly and thought about the question for a brief moment before smiling.

“Maybe…but I have always liked breaking the rules anyway.”