Chapter 44

Niall's POV:

A cool breeze whistled through the air as it blew against my bare chest. I groan and shift in the bed, searching for warmth to once again find me. However, the only thing that found me was loose sheets and a feeling of emptiness in the pit of my stomach. Where was Nani? I bolt up and quickly scan the room, worry filling my mind of the worst.

As I look around I was about to scream out for her until I saw the soft light from underneath the bathroom door illuminating the room. I let of a soft chuckle of relief as I removed the sheets from my body and stood up. I slowly walked over to the door and lightly tapped my knuckles against it.

"Hey baby, hurry back to bed it's cold without you next to me." I say softly as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I leaned against the door and smiled as I waited for her to reply.

My frown soon faded as more and more seconds ticked by without a sound. My body went rigid and I stood up straight, knocking a little harder against the door. "Babe?" I called out a little louder this time.

No answer.

I tried opening the door but it was locked. I grunted and took a step back. I took a deep breath and ran into the door, slamming all of my weight into it and knocking it down. I gasped slightly in shock as I fell to the ground with the door. I raised my head and looked around the room and saw no sign of Nani. My heart raced as I had the sick sense that something was wrong. Was it possible she was taken?

I bolt up and I turn on the lights quickly. "Nani!" I call out frantically, searching every room until desperation sets in. I rush outside and climb into my truck, revving the engine and quickly pulling out of the driveway. I floored the gas pedal and sped down the road, dirt flying behind my tires and clouding the rear view mirror.

My truck flew down the road, looking for any signs of movement or other vehicles. My heart raced against my chest as I mumbled small prayers to myself. I was usually a very light sleeper and the fact that I had slept through someone kidnapping Nani meant that I was losing my edge. Unless... Unless she wasn't taken.

I shook the thought away. There was no way she would leave. I saw that look of concern in her eyes when she had seen the scars on my body. I felt the way she kissed me. That can't be faked... Can it? I shout out in frustration and slam my fist against the steering wheel. Why does love have to be so confusing?

I slowed the car down and pulled off down a small road. I had to find her, she wouldn't just leave. I rolled down the window and listened for any sounds as I occasionally called out her name.

It was very late when I remembered something. If she truly had run away, there was a ditch down the road from my house that cannot be easily spotted at night. It's about 6ft deep and it's definitely enough to get you hurt or trapped with its slippery sand. My heartbeat increased as I thought of her stuck there.

I did a sharp turn into a grassy field and sped off towards the Ditch. Taking the main road would take longer than I wanted so I created my own way. As I came to the end of the field I slammed the breaks and turned off the car. I darted through the woods, barely being able to see thanks to the moon. When I approached the ditch I panted as I slowly peered down.

Both relief and pain shot through my chest as I saw her lying there motionlessly with cuts on her arms and her shirt ripped slightly, covered in dirt. "Nani!!" I scream and I grunt as I slide my back down one of the sides that had more of a slope. I ran over to her and scooped her in my arms gently.

She groaned and fluttered her eyes open. "N-Niall?" She asks weakly. I give her a sad smile and nods as I gently kiss her forehead. "I'm here baby." I whispered.

I lifted her up and looked back at the ledge. I walked over to it and gently lifted her up out of it and then I hoisted myself up. She looked out of it, probably dehydrated from all the loose dust she inhaled as the shock from the cold probably didn't help. I carried her to the truck and gently set her down against the passenger side door.

There was not a soul in sight and her boyfriend strictly wanted her alive, not let to rot in a muddy ditch. My mind searched every possible conclusion but I knew I was only denying the obvious.

She had run away on her own will.