Chapter 22

Nolan's POV

"What are you getting Ebony?" My mom asked as we walked around the stores, doing some last minute Christmas shopping. I think Mom more excited to be getting Ebony stuff. Ebony was staying at home with Jay and Teddy, who had decided start teaching her math. Oh and not to mention about ten other guards, I've already had one member of Midnight Summers infiltrate my pack, I don't want that to happen again. .

"As of right now, coloring books, crayons and I have no idea."

"Remember you also have her birthday coming up."

"I know."

"What size clothing does she wear?"

"Small, extra small." I shrugged. "Depends on the brand."

"She's so small."

"But holy shit, she is extremely strong." I chuckled. "Ebony nearly knocked me over the other day playing in the snow."

"Does she know how strong she is?"

"I try telling her."

"What about this?" Mom held up a pair of pajamas.

"That could work- this is probably the one thing I hate, she never tells me what she wants and needs."

"Well, what does she like to do?"

"Color and watch stuff on her tablet." I paused. "She also likes to read- we need to hit up the book store."

"Do not say that we need to 'hit up' something." My mother scolded me. "Makes you sound like a criminal."

"Sorry but we need to go to the store."

Nolan, what does x equal in 78+2x=100? Ebony mindlinked me. I guess it's a good thing that Teddy isn't a teacher because who teaches people algebra right after teaching the multiplication table.

Ebony, didn't Teddy say that you have to do this by yourself?

But what Teddy doesn't know won't hurt her.

I'll help you. I told her, looking at some of the fuzzy socks for while mom went off looking for other things. What is 100 minus 78?

22. She replied after a minute.

Now what is 22 divided by 2?

11! Thank you Nolan.

No problem.

When are you going to be back? I'm bored and Jay ate all the gummy worms. I could see her sitting there pouting.

But you're learning math.

Math is boring! Welcome to the world, Ebony everyone thinks math is boring. Why can't I be reading?

I'll be back home a little honey, I'll pick you up some more gummy worms and you can read all you want. I knew that I wouldn't be able to get all of my shopping done in one day, for both Christmas and her birthday, I'm lucky that I got Christmas done.

But Teddy said that I have homework.

No you don't

Won't Teddy be mad.

No she won't

"Nolan you ready?"

"Yep." I told my mother. "We need to get Ebony some gummy worms on our way home."

"I could have swore you bought them in bulk. "

"I try but Ebony likes sharing it with Jay and we all know what that's like."