Chapter 30 - Close as strangers.

*Flashback*

"How about we head out soon?" Luke asked, as he sipped on a beer. "We're working tomorrow. John wants us in the studio" Ash told him, with a beer. "Yeah, but we could go to the club" He nodded. "We get it Luke..." Calum chuckled, as he sat back on the sofa. "Your not such a nice guy when your leave there..." Ashton joked. "That's hilarious" Luke nodded. "Wow, you should tell more jokes!" He told him, mocking. "I cant be assed going out tonight to be honest" Calum sighed. "You. Not go out?" Ashton joked with Calum

"Im tired. Leave me alone! We just had a fucking flight from the side of the world!" He told him smiling. "Now we're back in LA!" Luke softly cheered. "So fun" Ashton smiled, as he turned to Calum and rolled his eyes making Calum snigger. "You go out with him" Calum nodded at Ashton. "No..." Ash screwed his face up and shook his head. "No...cameras tonight" Ash sighed as he sunk down on the seat he was in.

"Ask Mike..." Ash kicked Luke a little, before taking some beer. Luke made a face, shaking his head. "Don't bother. He's not came out that room today" Calum told him. "What?" Ash turned to him. "Yeah, he went in there and hasn't came out. He had his headphones on when we were flying too, in silence. Writing, and scribbling away" Calum told them. "Moping all the fucking time" Luke complained as she sighed, and sat up.

"Hey, you would be too..." Ashton turned to Luke. "Yeah, just because your getting action" Calum laughed. "Shut up, idiot!" Luke told off Calum. "Enough guys." Ashton shook his head. "It's been...like forever. I'm surprised he'll still like this" Luke nodded his head, before taking more beer. "She wasn't just anyone..." Calum spoke up. "Yeah..." Ashton stared into space, before taking another sip. "She's...was...a girl" Luke shrugged. "His girl" Calum reminded him.

"Oh please. Yeah okay" Luke mocked as he laughed. "Okay, your not going tonight. For that" Ashton warned him. "What did I do?!" He asked. "Your being fucking weird again. Cheeky, being an ass! Stop it, and stop talking about Mike like that. You, us, we should be there for him. Not being against him" Ashton told him. Luke sighed, as he rolled his eyes. "He'll move on." He told the guys. "Really? Look how long its been..." Calum sat up and looked at both Ashton then Luke.

Ashton sighed, as he stood up. He grabbed a bottle, before shrugging. "I'll see if he's okay" He told them, before walking to the bottom room where they practiced sometimes. "He's taking it out of proportion" Luke shook his head. "He's being his brother self" Calum smiled. "We all have that side...except you right now" Calum narrowed his eyes. "Shut up, dick!" Luke threw a cushion making it hit off of Cal's arm.

Ashton knocked on the door, and waited for a moment. With no answer, he opened it and peered his head in. Michael was sitting at the table, with his headphones on. His head down resting on his hand as he wrote with his other. "Mikey...?" Ashton asked, but no answer. Closing the door, he walked over to the front of him to see would see. Michael looked up, and sat up straight as he took his headphones off. "Whats up?" He asked him, unaware of anything and quiet. "You okay?" Ash asked him. "Mhmm" Michael rubbed his face before yawing.

"You look like shit, dude" Ash admitted sitting down across from him and handing him the closed beer. "No thanks..." Michael declined before chuckling. "I know." He then admitted. "Have you slept? Since last night?" Ashton asked him. Shaking his head, he doodled at the top of the paper he had. "Michael you've not slept in nearly 24 hours...dude you need to rest" Ash told him, serious. "We're at the studio tomorrow!" He told him.

"Aw yeah. Forgot about that" Michael sighed. Ashton shook his head as he looked at Michael. "Your not okay are you?" He asked. Looking up at him, Michael nodded. "You've been really down lately dude...whats up?" He asked him. "Nothing just...thinking a lot these days..." Michael told him quietly. "About...Tori?" Ash asked, as he played with the label on his own beer bottle. "I'm such a fucking idiot" Michael laughed to himself.

"You cant keep beating yourself up over this..." Ashton told him. "Uh hello? I was the one who ended it" Michael told him. "Tori ended it." Ashton corrected him. "Yeah, but I fucked it up!" Michael sighed. "I really...miss talking to her" His voice cracked. "It may have not seemed to looked like it but...she was there. Everything." Michael sighed. "Mike...have you thought about that phone call?" Ash asked. "I'm not fucking seeing a shrink!" Michael told him.

Ashton chuckled as he shook his head. "Its not a shrink..." He told him. "I just...I need to see Tori" He told him. "Michael...its been six months. You have to try and get over it" Ashton told him, trying to sound as nice as possible. "Yeah..." Michael nodded. "I guess I have too..." He sighed, as he continued to doodle. "Whats that?" Ashton asked, referring to the words on the paper. "Oh...I've been trying to write something." Michael shrugged.

"Aw, lets see" Ash smiled, holding out his hand. Michael looked at him, then Ash snapped his fingers. "I want to see" He told him. Michael sighed as he slid over the notebook, and Ashton turned it around so he could read it.

Six weeks since I've been away
And now you're sayin' everything has changed
And I'm afraid that I might be losing you
And every night that we spend alone
It kills me thinking of you on your own
And I wish I was back home next to you

Ash looked up at Michael, and watched as he chuckled. "So much for moving on huh?" He asked.

Oh, everyday
You feel a little bit further away
And I don't know what to say

Are we wasting time
Talking on a broken line?
Telling you I haven't seen your face in ages
I feel like we're as close as strangers
Won't give up
Even though it hurts so much
Every night I'm losing you in a thousand faces
Now it feels we're as close as strangers

"Hmm" Ashton thought for a moment. "This is nice.." He then admitted to him.

Late night calls and another text
Is this as good as we're gonna get?
Another timezone taking me away from you
Living dreams in fluorescent lights
While you and I are running out of time
But you know that I'll always wait for you

Oh, everyday
You feel a little bit further away
And I don't know what to say

"This is so deep. It explains so much..." Ashton looked up at Michael. "Yeah well.." He nodded, agreeing with him.

....

On the phone
I can tell that you wanna move on
Through the tears
I can hear that I shouldn't have gone
Every day gets harder to stay away from you
So tell me...

Are we wasting time
Talking on a broken line?
Telling you I haven't seen your face in ages
I feel like we're as close as strangers

....

"I've just finished writing it today...I started a few days ago. Maybe that's why I've been so quiet" He shrugged.

Six months since I went away
And I know everything has changed
But tomorrow I'll be coming back to you

Ashton looked up at him and nodded. "I think we should try this at the studio tomorrow" He nodded with a smile. "What?" Michael asked. "Yeah...I think if you get these lyrics out...you'll be okay" He admitted to him. "You think?" Michael asked, a little unconvinced. "You'll be great. Trust me" Ashton smiled, before stood up. "Come on. We miss ya out here" Ashton chuckled making Michael scoff and smile. "I think...you and Tori both need those words out in the open" He patted Michael shoulder. "How? She'll never hear it" He told her.

"She'll hear plenty" Ashton smiled, as they walked to the door.

*End of flashback*