Chapter 5

Bill's POV

It took a long time to force myself to sleep, at least I didn't have to deal with Arrow or the Pines' parents when they got home from whatever. I didn't move when I woke up, I just had my face planted in the pillow as I thought about life and how pathetic mine was. I let out a long and low groan of irritation and I sat up. What shocked me the most was to see Pine Tree sitting at the edge of my bed.

For a moment, I just stared at him in awe as he sat on his phone, oblivious. What the heck? I thought. I reached out and tapped his shoulder.

He jumped and dropped his phone. His face went white when our gazes locked and he snatched his phone up and turned it off. "Y-you're awake."

I rolled my eye. "Obviously." I looked him up and down. "Why are you in my room while I'm sleeping?"

Pine Tree sighed. "It sounds creepy when you say it aloud... I was waiting for you to wake up."

I raised an eyebrow. "Why...?"

"'Cause I needed to talk you about when I said it was me who was 'uncomfortable', I was lying. I was trying to stop you from putting Eleanor back in your spotlight." He frowned at me and his gaze grew glaring.

"So, you're putting yourself in my spotlight so Eleanor isn't in it?" I asked smugly.

"Yes."

I sat up and crossed my legs and leaned close so I could study him and see the fear creep in his eyes. "Well, who says that'll stop me. Besides, I thought we were on good terms?"

Pine Tree tried to lean away. "I'm just trying to protect my girlfriend."

I rolled my eye and scoffed. "Listen, Dipper, you don't know or understand me, but I know and understand you. Who do you think has the upper hand here?"

Pine Tree flushed and glanced away. "I-uh-"

"Me."  I interrupted him.

Pine Tree put on an angry stare to cover up his uneasiness. "You don't know me. I've never seen you until you showed up at my front door."

I chuckled. "But I do know you, you just don't know that I do. I know all your weaknesses, so it'd be better for you to just give up this whole hero act."

Pine Tree made a face. "Weaknesses? Please."

I leaned even closer, using my absolutely ridiculous amount of courage against Pine Tree's lack-there-of. Pine Tree tried to lean back, but any farther, he'd fall off.

"I-I think this c-conversation is over..." He stammered and attempted to step away.

I smirked. "What was that you were saying about 'no weaknesses?'"

Pine Tree got up and away and ran a hand through his hair. "I-I don't want you jeopardizing my relationship with Eleanor. Just st-stay away."  

I narrowed my gaze and glared at him. "I'm not making any promises."

Pine Tree visibly swallowed and  walked to the door before stopping quickly. "Also, don't do anything to Mabel, either. Whatever weird scheming thing you are doing - like what you're doing to me - leave her out of it."

I grew angry at the lengths he was going to to protect Arrow and keep her away. It was severely annoying... I crossed my arms as he closed the door behind him. My skin flamed up red and I made sure I didn't burn the bed sheets beneath me. Why was he trying to act so courageous. I knew the real Pine Tree. I would have thought he'd be less courageous because he had never gone mystery hunting with his sister.