Chapter 31

Bill's POV

I ended up falling asleep quickly, feeling happy and at peace that I had gotten pester him at least that one more time. There had been some muffled yelling from Shooting Star to Pine Tree and I could hear him reluctantly defending himself and me. Hearing the stress and pain in his voice helped me drift off to sleep.

"M-Mabel?! Why did you even come into my room in the first place?!" He had screamed.

"Because I heard you, yelling! At first I though I was hearing things,"
Mabel had said, "but then I wanted to check if you were ok!"

"You should-should at least...knocked first." There had been anger and pain visible in his replies.

"Ugh, Dipper! Why do you even like this guy?!" She had yelled.

"It doesn't m-matter! Leave me alone!" I guessed that Pine Tree had shoved her out and slammed the door behind her, because their conversation had ended there.

Now, I woke up slowly and stretched, smiling. I hadn't intended for Shooting Star to walk in right then, but it definitely made my attempt a lot more effective.

I got up and walked to my door and opened it, stepping out, and yawned. It was about nine o'clock now. At the table, Shooting Star was eating breakfast with Pine Tree. She was completely mute, a glare stuck to her face. She cared for everyone so much that it began to twist her real character into this person-obsessed creature.

She cared too much for Pine Tree and me being with him was pissing her off. But I didn't care.

Her gaze flicked up when she saw me, anger flashing across them.

Pine Tree saw her stare change and looked over his shoulder. Memories of last night poked at him and blush rushed to his face. "Good-good morning." He stammered.

I strolled up and sat down next to him. "Morning." I looked up at Shooting Star who avoided looking at us. "Sorry about last night, Mabel." I apologized. "Quite embarrassing, if you ask me." I ruffled Pine Tree's hair and he was forced to not react like it was a repulsive gesture.

"Don't apologize. Your apologies mean nothing, Bill." She spat.

"Whoa, little harsh, aren't we?" I asked.

"It's just-" she growled, "you don't understand."

I rolled my eye. "Whatever." I turned my focus to Pine Tree. "Ready for the beach?"

He tensed up, swallowing his cereal. There was a drawn out pause before he answered. "Yes..."

"Good. I've never really been to one before so this should be fun." I commented.

"Never been to one..." Pine Tree echoed and let out a huff of laughter. "Ever seen one?" He asked.

"Uh... Kind of." I replied.

A small smile played at his mouth. "Ok then."

I smirked, wondering what he was thinking about, but I left his mind to himself. "Can we get ready?!" I said with enthusiasm, but it was partially real since I had never been to an ocean before.

Pine Tree smiled, a real smile, which surprised and somewhat annoyed me, and sighed. "Sure."

Shooting Star exhaled annoyed. "Fine. You guys go and do whatever the hell you guys do. I'm staying here."

Pine Tree walked over to his sister and hugged her, making her eyes widen. "Sorry about last night." He whispered and her gaze softened slightly like his apologies were worth more than mine were.