Chapter 54

Bill's POV

Watching Eleanor walk away was painful, but I knew, deep down inside of me, that I couldn't chase her. My mind was fogged up and unclear, but one thing was crystal. It was time to wrap up my plans. I stood up from the sandy beach, leaving the laptop and towel behind, and began my walk home.

All the way there, all I could think about was what I was going to say and how to say it. It'd go smoothly, more or less. I hoped, at least... When I reached the front door, I hesitated, licking my now dry lips nervously. What's to be nervous about? I asked myself. I twisted the knob and entered through the doorway. I wasn't surprised to find Ford sitting at the dining table, a cup of coffee (probably his fifth one) resting between his six-fingered hands. His gaze was troubled, and somewhat angry.

Ford raised his gaze up to me and a shadow was cast over them, making me blink, surprised.

"What's up, Sixer?" I asked as casually as possible.

He stood up from his chair and made his way over to me, on hand behind his back. "Bill, I need to talk to you."

I rolled my eye. "Please, Fordsy, I've had enough discussion with you."

Ford shook his head. "I know what you did to Dipper."

Shock pulsated through me. How does he know about last night? He didn't see us kiss! I played it cool. "Pft, Ford, come on. What happened last night was-"

"I'm not talking about last night." His tone held a warning in it.

My stare grew confused and then, without reading his mind, I knew exactly what he was talking about. "Y-you mean...?"

Ford glared at me. "Yes, Bill, I know what you did to Dipper on the other time line." Ford whipped out Pine Tree's hat from behind him, holding it stiffly right in front of my face. "I know you killed him!"

Guilt swept over me like a tidal wave. Ford knew me all too well, only he could have guessed that I was the one who killed Pine Tree. "F-Ford..."

He put a hand up to silence me. "Why did you do it, Bill? Why did you do it if you loved him?!"

I couldn't meet his fiery gaze. "I...I didn't mean to..." I lied.

"Bull," was all he said, growing more agitated. "You could have resurrected him!"

I screwed my eyes shut. "No I couldn't have! I wasn't given that power, Sixer!"

Ford glowered at me. "Oh sure-"

"Shut up!" I ordered him, my skin tone altering to red. "I'm not here to talk to you."

He sighed heavily. "We will be discussing this later, Bill. You aren't getting away from this."

I shoved passed Ford irritably. Of course Ford managed to find out the truth. He just had to do the tests on that stupid hat. I already had something heavy and important on my mind, I didn't need that as well. I ended up reaching Pine Tree's room and I knew what was coming next.

Taking a deep breath, I swung open his door and stepped in, closing it behind me.

Pine Tree shot up in his bed, caramel eyes wide. "Bill?! Where have you been?!"

I sighed softly, not able to meet his sweet and starry gaze. "I went out for some time to myself... No biggy."

Pine Tree slid out of his bed and walked up to me with a worried look on his face. "What is it?"

I clenched my hands into tight fists. "I have to tell you something, Dipper."

When I said his real name, he flinched, and studied me carefully. "Ok... Tell me..."