Chapter 46

Bill's POV

When we both finished up at the café, we ended up leaving in a stony silence. I felt like I was being torn in two. Arrow... I loved her so much and every time I saw her I smiled and she made me feel so real and happy... And then there was Pine Tree....

Wait, what are you talking about?! I screamed at myself. PINE TREE isn't even a choice! Shut the hell up! The longer that I was human, the more challenging it became for me to get through life. I needed some sense knocked into my head. I needed to get away from him. He was bad for me. Pine Tree was being so nice and understanding and friendly - that's not how it's supposed to be.

"Hey Bill, I'm gonna go to the store for a bit. You go on back, I'll meet yah there." He said, smiling.

THANK YOU!!! I just nodded calmly on the outside. "Kay, see yah at home." I waved goodbye and began walking back without him. Once he was out of my sight and far away, I exhaled deeply and said a long string of curses at him and myself. "Get your head on straight, Cipher." I told myself harshly.

I soon made it back to Pine Tree's house and walked in the front cautiously. Only Shooting Star was sitting in the living room watching TV.

She looked up and waved. "Hey, where'd yah guys go?" She asked.

"Oh, we just went to the café near by. We needed to get out for a bit." I explained. I went and sat down beside her, trying to drag my mind off the disturbing topics. Suddenly, at the back of my mind, I felt something prodding. I scrunched up my face confused. Was I picking up someone's thoughts? I closed my eyes, trying to listen but they were muffled and almost undetectable. They sounded shocked and flabbergast. It can't be Shooting Star... I thought, confused.

I tried to listen in, but no matter how hard I tried, they never turned clear. I rolled my eye, telling myself I was just being paranoid. It was probably nothing.

Shooting Star was watching some weird TV show that I had no idea what was going on. I let myself zone out a little bit so I could sink into my thoughts. I kept seeing Arrow's hateful face. What was I going to do to get her to see me for me. The me she fell in love with. She acted like I was irresistible back then and was completely and utterly in love me. She treated me like I was her world and I treated her like she was mine.

Why did she have to try to fix Ford's mess? It was all his fault. If I never saw Ford again, it'd be too soon. I could live the rest of my eternal life without seeing him and I'd be just fine. I'd actually prefer to keep it that way.

Maybe I just wasn't used to having good friends and that was why I was confused about Pine Tree. I never had real friends like him, and I had been in love with Arrow. It'd make sense. I'd probably need to take "friend lessons" from Shooting Star or something to help me.

"What's that?" Shooting Star asked.

I blinked, getting out of my head. "Huh?"

"You said something, or were muttering something. I heard you say my name." Shooting Star looked over at me.

I clenched my jaw. Whoops. "Oh, no, I didn't..." I chuckled awkwardly and silently cursed myself for not being so careful with myself. I cleared my throat, suddenly compelled to ask her a question. "Um...Mabel?" I asked, saying her real name.

"Yeah?"

"Did you hear the whole thing between Dipper and his dad?"

Shooting Star's friendly smile evaporated. "Oh, that..." Her gaze turned dark. "Yeah, I did." She sighed deeply. "You know, Dipper really loves you, more than I realized."