Sans X Papyrus

It's not what you think. They're brothers. Not lovers.
-----------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~~Sans~~~~~~~~

My eye sockets slowly open to a world without color, without hope, without a hint of life. Dust scatters through the wind as a red scarf flies towards me.

"papyrus..."

My feet can't move, my arms are frozen, my eye won't even light up blue. I can only helplessly watch as my last memory of my brother fades from sight. I feel tears build up in my eye sockets but the sound of metal on metal makes me freeze to the spot. 

"Hello Sans. You like what i've done with the place?"

Anger builds within me but i'm still unable to move. I'm pushed to the ground and fall face first into the dust covered snow as a foot is pressed into my back. I feel her breathe beside my skull and it sends shivers down my vertebrae.

"You can't get rid of me. I will always return. Frisk and I will never give you your happy ending."

I try my hardest to throw her off me, to summon a Blaster, to do anything at all... but the only thing I could do was cry. She laughs as her knife rubs up against my collarbone, jaw then she plunges it into my left eye.

The pain was immense, I clutched my left eye tightly as my movement had finally returned. I feel the soft covers of my bed beneath me but my eye begins hurting more and more, as if someone stuck a handful of thumb tacks into it and is shaking my skull around. I feel myself screaming as I cry in fear and pain, I can't even see anything.

~~~~~Papyrus~~~~~ 

The sound of painful screaming makes me jump up from bed and sleepily listen for where the screams are coming from. With a spark of realisation I notice that it's from Sans' room which makes me bolt out of my room and slam the door open to Sans'.

"SANS!?!"

Blue flames encompass his body as his hands tightly clutch his left eye socket which seems to be leaking a blue fluid that act as tears. I quickly run over to his bed and sit down in front of him.

"SANS... SANS! BROTHER I'M HERE... SANS PLEASE STOP CRYING..."

His hands clutch tighter to his eye socket, his fingers are close to entering inside it. I quickly pull them away and hold them in my own.

"SANS! I'M HERE! PAPYRUS IS HERE!"

It seems like he uses all of his strength to focus on me, on my face, and I see recognition in his eyes. I give him a smile and let him place his hands onto my skull, this has happened far too often.

"pap?"

"YES SANS. I'M HERE AND EVERYONE IS FINE. NO ONE IS DEAD... NO ONE IS DUST... THERE IS NO HUMAN DOWN HERE TO HURT ANYONE."

His eye returns to normal but I notice something strange with it, a small crack is coming from the bottom of his eye socket.

"SANS... YOU CRACKED YOUR SKULL..."

"o-oh... i'm s-sorry bro..."

I smile and gently pull his head towards me so that it lays against my chest, his arms wrap around me and we silently sit there for a while. I hate seeing Sans like this, I want to see a genuine smile on his skull again. It's forced all day and night and he believes that I can't help him, but I want to.

"SANS?"

"y-yeah bro?"

I take a deep breath and lightly place my hand onto his head.

"WILL YOU... TELL ME YOUR NIGHTMARES IF I TELL YOU MINE?"

He moves away from me and looks into my eyes, searching if I really have had nightmares. I actually have, it's just that I don't share them with Sans because he has enough of them.

"y-you... have nightmares too?"

"EVERYONE HAS NIGHTMARES SANS. I JUST DON'T TELL YOU MINE BECAUSE... YOU HAVE TOO MANY ALREADY."

His head looks down but I pull him into another hug, i'm not letting go of him this time. He moves into a more comfortable position but doesn't try to move away.

"MY NIGHTMARES... INVOLVE A HUMAN AS WELL. I WAS HAPPY THAT A HUMAN HAD FELL INTO THE UNDERGROUND AND WANTED TO PUT THEM THROUGH MY PUZZLES... BUT THEY IGNORED THEM. PASSED THROUGH ALL OF THEM WITHOUT ATTEMPTING THEM."

I feel his arms tighten around me and I do the same, i'm not at the worst part yet.

"EVENTUALLY THEY REACH THE EDGE OF SNOWDIN AND I TRY TO TELL THEM THAT I CAN HELP CHANGE! THAT THEY COULD BE GOOD IF THEY WANTED TO! THEY WERE COVERED IN DUST... AND I TRIED IGNORING IT BUT I ALWAYS KNOW WHAT THEY'VE DONE..."

I hear Sans gasp loudly and he starts shaking, I tighten my hold around him to try and calm him down.

"THEY SLOWLY WALK UP TO ME AND I BELIEVE THAT THEY'RE ABOUT TO ACCEPT MY HUG OF FORGIVENESS. THEYRE ABOUT A FOOT AWAY ONCE I SEE THE KNIFE... THEN THE BLUE JACKET."

I feel tears building up in my eye sockets but I try to hide them from Sans. I came in here to help him, not the other way around.

"I WATCH THE HUMAN WALK AWAY AS... Y-YOU... START F-FADING... IN FRONT O-OF ME..."

He pushes away from me and sees the tears in my face, he instantly starts worrying and tries wiping them away.

"pap... why didn't you tell me!?!"

"BECAUSE YOU NEVER TOLD ME YOURS!"

My outburst makes him jump and I turn around and hug my legs tight. Tears continue falling from my face as the trash tornado in the corner of the room is the only noise that is in the house.

"everything was gray and dark. i couldn't move from my spot and i saw your scarf flying in the wind along with dust. i wanted to grab it, to find you and give it back, but it left my sight..."

He sits down beside me but I don't look at him, I keep my gaze forward. The tears lessen but my soul is still hurting.

"i suddenly get pushed into the dust covered snow, still unable to move, and... someone puts a knife to my collarbone. they drag it up the side of my skull... then they shoved it into my left eye."

I turn my head to see him rubbing his finger over the small crack his eye socket has. I sigh and push his hand away, then pull him into another hug.

"SANS..."

"yeah bro?"

"IT'S JUST A DREAM, RIGHT?"

"y-yeah pap... it's just a dream..."

I want to believe him, more than anything else in the world, but the hesitation in his voice suggests that it's more than just a dream. But... he's my brother and I love him more than the thought of being on the Surface. I quickly pull him into another hug and he just lays there, his head resting on my armor.

"love ya bro."

"I LOVE YOU TOO SANS..."