Chapter 4

"Nawal, wake up this instant. You know we have a brunch to go to," Ghazala pulled the duvet away from her daughter. Goosebumps rose on Nawal's forearms as she was exposed to the cold temperature in the room. The radiators in Nawal's room were always low as she felt that it made her skin dry. Cocooned in the duvet, she would sleep peacefully. Well until, her mother came and dragged the duvet away. This was a routine. How many times in the past Ghazala had to physically pull Nawal out of the bed? The girl loved to sleep. And during weekends, it took all of Ghazala's energy to wake her up.

"Mom, plllleeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeee, just one more minute," mumbled Nawal sleepily nuzzling her face into the pillow.

Ghazala was no in the mood to endure her daughters antics. She grabbed Nawal's shoulder and started shaking her. "Nawal you better wake up, otherwise I am getting cold water and I will simply dump it on your head."

Slowly, Nawal stirred and finally sat up. Her eyes were still closed, "Mom you are the meanest."

"Whatever. It's 11am and we have to be at Seema's by 1pm. Now get in the toilet right this minute." Ghazala sternly enjoined her daughter.

Rubbing her eyes with the backs of her fingers, Nawal muttered, "No decent person wakes up at 11am on a Sunday morning." She turned to lie down again, "Besides tell khala I was tired and wasn't able to come."

"Oh no you don't." Ghazala pulled Nawal's ear making her screech. "Get up now and get ready."

Rubbing her reddening ear, "Mom why are you being physical?"

Ghazala crossed her arms, "Why are you being stubborn?"

"Forget it. I am up. But my Khala is much sweeter than you. She never wakes me like this every time I go for a sleep over."

Ghazala rolled her eyes, "That's because she doesn't have to suffer day in and out with you. If you live with her may be her opinion will change."

Nawal muttered, "That's it I had enough insults for one morning." She stomped to the bathroom.

Ghazala heaved, at least Nawal was up. The girl always gave her a headache. She only worried what theatrics she will do with her husband and in laws when the time will come.

****

An hour later, standing in front of the mirror, Nawal applied the lip gloss with only one thought, Would Daud be there at the party? She wanted to look her best. After discarding various dressing options, she had finally decided to wear semi casually. Hopefully, Daud would like her appearance she mused scanning her look one more time.

"Nawaaaaal we are getting late," her mother shouted.

Nawal rolled her eyes. She was endlessly shouted at by her mother and brothers. Sighing, she picked her oversized funky handbag and made her way out.

"Spending hours in front of the mirror will not turn the ugly duckling into a swan," sneered Arbaaz.

"Shut up will you," Nawal hissed sitting at the backseat of their father's car.

Shabbir frowned peering at the rear view mirror seated at the driving seat. He spoke startling his children, "Arbaaz behave. Nawal is my beautiful daughter. She doesn't have to look in the mirror for hours or do put on any make up." Shabbir winked gazing at his daughter at the rear view mirror, "After all she is my princess."

Nawal smiled broadly and stuck her tongue at Arbaaz who in turn just grumbled and looked out his window. Ghazala made a disapproved face, "It is because of your love she is spoiled. She never listen to me anymore."