Chapter 55

Ignore any editing issues: baby crying alert!

-----------------------

Tears streamed down Seema's face, she was still staring at the wall. She didn't have the courage to meet her son's eyes. Although, Salman wasn't able to tear his gaze away from his mother. The dark secrets revealed were a shock. To say that he was astonished was least to describe his feelings. He was utterly speechless. He didn't know what he was feeling at that moment.

For all his life, he had seen his parents as a loving couple. His father a devoted husband and his mother a caring wife. Today the past that was unravelled clearly shown that his parents had withstood a lot to reach to the point that they loved each other immensely. His parents were not perfect. In fact, they were human beings that were capable of making mistakes. The grave sin his mother committed astounded him. But as a loyal son how could he insult his mother for something that was committed way before his birth.

With the back of her hand, Seema wiped her tears away from her cheeks, for the first time in an hour she looked at her son. Her eyes spoke of the pain and anguish she had suffered due to the one night negligence.

"I see myself in her." she swallowed hard against the tightness in her throat, "this is why I had wished to make her my daughter in law. I had endured a lot living with Baji and every time I saw her whenever Baji scolded her, a little of the spark in her eyes was extinguished." Her eyes lowered, staring at her hands, her voice dropped, "Somehow I believed you will be like your father. Help her overcome any weakness and make her believe in herself. But most importantly, love her for who she is."

"And I didn't meet your expectations," exhaled Salman.

Seem wasn't here to blame him or taunt him. She rose to her feet, her trembling hand placed on his shoulder, "Beta, be forgiving. Be a better man. When your father forgave me and never in all these years say a word about it, my love and respect for him increased tenfold. You can do the same and even more." she smiled softly, "Motherhood has changed her. She is a mature person now. Give her a chance. Talk to her, it's always better to discuss the problem rather than running away from it."

When he could condone his mother's sin which was far severe than Nawal's, why was he having a grudge against his wife? Deep down, he realized he was being a hypocrite here.

Nodding briefly, Salman said, "I will try Ammi. I am not as great as Abou. But I will try."

Her eyes shone, she heavily breathed out in relief, and Seema patted his cheek before leaving the room. Sleep eluded from his eyes, he sat frozen for many hours. His mother's words playing on his mind.

The clock chimed the late hour. For the first time in his life, he went to the toilet to do ablution (wudu) for Tahajud prayer (late night optional prayer). When he stood in front of his Lord, he found his answer. Going down in prostration, there was tranquillity replacing the despair in his heart. With closed eyes, his lips moved while in prostration, Ya Allah, make way for us to find marital happiness and harmony.

After completing his prayer, he sat on the musalla (prayer mat) for many minutes pondering over the dire situation. That's when he decided, I will work on our relationship. This time with sincerity.

But many times, decisions were made too late.

****
The next morning, at his office after reviewing the day's schedule and the first meeting of the day, Salman called his wife. With positive thoughts, he dialled her number and waited in anticipation. Guilt was attacking his soul, he had neglected her in the last two weeks since she left for Faraz's place. In his mindless purpose to keep distance he didn't keep in check about her health as he should have had.