Chapter 65

It was after breakfast, the sunlight was streaming through the partly opened wooden blinds. Daud was stretched on the leather sofa idly and flicking through the television channels. He was a content man. Perhaps, more content than he had been in all his life. The last two days were the start of his marriage and so far he had found a rare kind of companionship he had never thought he would ever be blessed with. In the past, Susan was a timid quiet woman but now she had become fiery and confident. He was being drawn to her fast. He grinned remembering how she had been there for him in the shower.

"Now tell me what help you need?" Susan had asked, hanging the bright yellow bath towel on the towel rack.

He leaned his right shoulder against the cool rust tiled wall of the bathroom, "You lead the way," he winked.

She bit her lower lip in an amused manner, "Maybe I should give you a bath like Yousef does. He is surrounded by his rubber duckies and toy cars."

He tilted his head in amusement and further prodded, "I don't need toys. I need only you."

Her eyelids lowered and a tell-tale scarlet colour swept across her cheeks. He was enjoying himself and he was damn sure so was she. For a matter of fact, he liked it a lot making her blush.

She loosely twisted her long light brown hair in a bun, "C'mon Daud, just don't stand there. You need to help me."

She stepped closer and carefully pulled out the t-shirt sleeve from his left injured arm. His eyes didn't falter from her face. When he took off his t-shirt over his head, his heart clenched thinking she had married a man who wasn't even capable to look after himself now.

The change in his stance as she helped him to take off the rest of his clothes was easily discerned by Susan. This wasn't like Daud not to speak or comment about something. She knew him this much at least. She peered at his face, he had a faraway look.

"Do you want me to bring you a chair? We can put that under the shower it will be far easier to take a shower then." She suggested.

He was uneasy but why? He had seemed comfortable around her when she helped him other times.

He shook his head imperceptibly, "Ya that would help."

"Okay I will bring the kitchen chair." She rushed off.

Within minutes, she was back with the chair. She placed it under the overhead shower in the cubicle glass shower room.

She stepped back, "I think this would do," she observed.

"Ya.... I think I will manage on my own." He said standing behind her.

She frowned and whirled around. He wasn't meeting eyes with her. "What is it?"

He grew rigid, brushing past her and he sat gingerly on the chair, "I am fine, Susan. I don't want to be a nuisance to you."

Her eyebrows drew together and wrinkles formed on her porcelain white skin. He was a proud man. He wouldn't want to hear any kind of pity from her.

She smirked and leaned forward, gently her finger tips brushing his naked shoulders, "Is that what you think?" She brought her lips near his ear, "And here I was enjoying the view."

Shocked, Daud's eyes grew large. Before he could reply, her hands went behind his head and she turned the faucet. She hastily stepped back as the water flowed from the shower. Muscle by muscle, hair by hair wetting him.

His eyes were on her.

He didn't blink.

He stared under the warm shower rain.