Chapter 9

Daud frowned, "What is wrong in that?" he asked observing his mother's expression.

Chloe cleared her throat and side glanced at her husband who was confused at her reaction as well. She then raised her eyes at her son, "Do you know Salman's marriage proposal has been asked for her?"

Ibrahim grew rigid and abruptly turned to his son.

Daud nonchalantly picked his tea mug, "I know and I don't care."

Ibrahim glowered, "is this your way of taking revenge on Salman?" he was breathing hard now.

Daud slowly shook his head and then for the first time since the conversation started he looked straight into his father's eyes, "No." Not taking his eyes off his father he continued, "We have been talking and getting to know each other for the last few weeks. And I even met her once. I know she has feelings for me."

Chloe arched an eyebrow and rested her forearms on the table, "What about you?"

Warmth was seen in Duad's eyes turning his sky blue eyes into stormy blue, "I feel something for her too. Something I had never felt for anyone."

"I want you to forget the girl." Ibrahim said in a calm tone.

"Why?" Daud's eyebrows furrowed.

"I do not want you to think to marry the same girl as Salman is thinking too. Already this rivalry between both of you have gone out of hands and this would create animosity for generations to come."

"It's too late. I have given her my word. And I want you" Daud's eyes flickered at his mother, "and Mom to accompany me this weekend to her home."

Placing his hands on the table, Ibrahim pushed and stood up. The chair staggering behind him, "Daud I will not support you on this. Enough is enough now. Forget the girl."

Daud also stood up, "I want to marry her Dad. You know very well I will not make such a decision to spite Salman. Why the hell would I want to go through marriage – a life time commitment just to see him in agony for some time? You tell me. Have I ever expressed my desire to marry someone? If today I am telling you this that is because I genuinely want to marry her."

Chloe rose up and gently touched her husband's arm, "Ibrahim, I can see he is sincere. Your son has never asked anything out of you. Don't abandon him when he needs you the most."

Ibrahim glanced at his wife and he softened under her touch. He swallowed, "But Chloe..."

Chloe interrupted him, "Ibrahim, in your culture a girl gets many marriage proposals. Let her decide who she wants to marry. We are not forcing anyone. We don't even know if they will say yes. There is nothing wrong in going with our son." Her eyes pleaded her husband, "Please, don't make the same mistake as your father." She said softly.

Her words melted Ibrahim's stern heart, "Fine Chloe. I am doing this only because you are asking me to," Ibrahim glared at his son, "Otherwise I was not going to listen to him."

She squeezed his arm affectionately and whispered, "Thank you."

Ibrahim left the room as a defeated man.

Daud stepped forward and enveloped his mother in a bear hug, "What will I do without you my darling mother." His voice muffled against her blond hair.

"Thank your lucky stars," she said stepping back from his embrace.

His expression grew solemn, "No I thank God for blessing me a mother like you. You mean the world to me."