Chapter 31

It had been a week since Susan had moved in with Amal. A shy and friendly woman, Amal had been a great support and with each passing day a companion. Yousef was easily comfortable in Amal's presence. She adored babies and young children and it was natural for her to mind Yousef when Susan was busy such as in a shower or searching for jobs online. After all, Amal had two nieces whom she had babysit countless time. Her eyes would sparkle and a lingering smile on her lips whenever Amal spoke of her nieces. Susan was grateful to God for finding Amal at the right time, when she was low spiritually, emotionally and even financially. Amal had come to Susan's life as a God sent gift and blessing – ready to help her with any problems.

Tonight was the first night Susan was all alone as Amal had been invited at a wedding reception party of a friends. Alone, in this new house Susan had ample time to think hard on her life. She couldn't take advantage of Amal's hospitable personality. She had to find a job soon and save enough money to rent a small flat even a studio flat will do. She had also applied for the council homes but knowing the Dublin City Council it will take months before she get any response.

Glancing at her sleeping son, her thoughts went to more poignant issues. Daud. Did he even realize they were not in the apartment anymore? Did he miss them? Ok well not her, but at least Yousef. His eyes would always lit up when seeing his son and he would spend hours playing with him. Will he not miss that bond?

She sighed, hugging the night robe more tightly around her, she walked to the window. What did the future held? Will she ever find happiness? For now, it was the question of survival. She had to find a job and start earning enough to bring food on the plate for her son and herself. In honesty, she didn't care about herself as long as Yousef was fed and taken care well.

The glaring light of the headlights on the quiet street distracted her and when the car stopped in front of the house, Susan smiled as the sight of Amal donned in fancy Pakistani dress rushed to the house door. Susan loved Amal's company and she would love to hear about the wedding party.

Quiet as a busy mouse, Susan padded her way downstairs to the foyer. Her shadow was thrown over Amal, who exclaimed in fright, "You scared me Susan," she placed her hand on her chest where her heart was.

Smiling sheepishly, "Sorry."

Amal shook her head, controlling her erratic heartbeat, "It's okay. Its just I thought you were asleep."

"I don't know I couldn't knowing you were still out."

Amal smile grew, "That's very sweet of you to look out for me."

One eyebrow rose inquisitively, Susan asked, "So how was it?"

"Magical. It was as if a scene out of a fairy tale." Amal sighed, "The bride and groom weren't even able to take their eyes off each other."

Susan lips twitched in delight, "That's wonderful. A happy couple then?"

"Yes indeed." Amal slumped on the living room sofa and started unpinning her hijab.

"Soon you will get married too." Susan teased.

Amal's hands stilled on top of her head as she was dragging a pin out of the hijab, eyes lowered she whispered so quietly, was it not for the house being silent Susan would have never deciphered, "No man would want to marry me."

Susan's eyebrows creased, "I should be saying that, being a single Mom, no man would be interested to marry me and take the burden of Yousef. But you are a beautiful single woman."

Unfolding the hijab from her head, Amal murmured, "Looks can be deceiving Susan. For one to marry one needs to be whole. I am not. I am damaged."

Stunned, Susan was speechless. And this is why she was able to connect easily with Amal. They were both damaged souls finding solace in this harsh world. But deep down there was a small lantern of light flaming in frail hope. Perhaps, they will find their happiness. And as she spent time with Amal, she did learn that indeed Allah loved His creations much more than one's mother.