Chapter 52

In the dimly lit study room that encompassed of a large oak wood desk with papers stacked neatly on it along with sleek silver Mac Book's screen gleaming, playing shadows between the two people who stared at each other. Nawal stood eyeing the man she married. The man who was the father of her baby. A person she had learned to understand despite all odds. Over the course of more than one year of their marriage, she never thought she would stand in front of him ready to resolve issues between them. The light flickered emphasizing his chiselled jaw that had couple of day's stubble grown. He never grew a thick beard instead it was always like a week old stubble. Her mind wandering to the times when she had touched it idly.

"Nawal?"

Her cheeks warmed at the direction of her thoughts. Her eyes dropped to the floor. What was wrong with her? She was here to finally talk the matter and here she was busy admiring his beard.

She bit her bottom lip to stop from being embarrassed further, "I don't want to hide anything. You may not like the truth. But it's the truth." Her eyelids rose and her eyes met his. She staggered a step, shocked to see what was in his eyes. She was expecting rage or even a bored look, instead his eyes spoke with admiration.

This encouraged her. She took a deep breath and said more confidently, "You know well I never agreed to our marriage. The ... the..." she thought for the right word, clearing her throat she then spoke in a softer tone, "the circumstances that led to our marriage forced me to accept my fate. We didn't start on the right foot either. I was stubborn on not giving you a chance. I was grieving over what I had planned. And you ... you.." she just couldn't go on.

"It's okay Nawal, say what you want to say. I am not going to be offended." He said without abating an eyelash.

She nodded, then glanced at the two seater sofa against the far wall, "Can I sit and talk. It's easier."

Immediately, he stood up, "Of course I was too engrossed on what you were saying that I didn't realize you were standing."

He followed her and when she was seated on the black leather sofa, he sat beside her but careful to leave ample space between them.

Sighing, she fidgeted with the gold and gems bangle he had given her, "I thought you were an arrogant man. You were strong on making sure I bend to your rules. There were times I felt suffocated in our relationship. Then there were times I felt you wanted to mould me into a person you desired to see me as. I was getting fed up. We never did communicate, did we?" she lifted her head, regretting perhaps she said too much.

"No we never did," his tone low, regret etched his face.

"When you left for the business trip, I was really low then. I felt lonely. I had no one to turn to. That's when I met Daud on campus. He just showed up out of nowhere. I ran away from him. I was angry at him too for leaving me on the day of the wedding. But the next time, I saw him at the campus, he reminded me of the good times we had and I just wasn't able to stop myself."

She pursed her lips, grudgingly, she glanced at him. He was staring at the desk. His Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed.

"Maybe I shouldn't say more." she whispered.

"No, go on. I want to know." He whispered back but he never looked at her.

Slightly nodding, what could be worse than their situation now? She had nothing to lose. There was nothing on stake any more. It was better to be clear and honest now. Rest she would leave it to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds.

"We met few times in campus while you were away. He kept reminding me of the times we spent together. The good times. He made me laugh and wiped my tears."