Chapter 25

Content warning: Strong language

"Divorce me."

Salman's eyes widened at the first words uttered from his bride's lips. His jaw clenched and his hand on her arm stilled.

"Divorce?" he said the word out loud to ensure he had heard it right.

She never blinked and daringly continued to stare back at him, ready to face her fate. But this was a façade her fluttering heart was beating erratically like the flapping wings of the caged canary bird.

His hold on her arm tightened and his forehead creased, "You are an ungrateful woman. Do you know that?"

She didn't wince at his provoking words or the pain he was inflicting from his hold. She held her head high shielding herself from any kind of adversary from him.

He leaned closer, his domineering physique overshadowing her. She wanted to cower back in fear but she stayed firm in her stance. "I saved you and your family from humiliation. I am the one who protected your honour."

Not even a single eyelash was abated.

"Where was your precious Daud when he really had to protect your honour? He left you to face the world alone." Daud's name on his lips slashed her heart and she looked away. His name brought a throbbing pain. Immense ache shooting through her blood stream and tearing apart her heart.

"I am the one who stepped up and gave you my name and honour. Even though I know very well what you have been up to with him," he bit out.

Panic rose in her chest and her troubled eyes gazed at him. What did he know?

His fingers pierced on her arm, "Be grateful. Can you imagine your life after divorce? What will the people say?" He shook her and her frail body trembled under his onslaughts, "First the groom changed and the now in a day's time you are divorced."

"You are hurting me," she whispered.

Immediately he let go of her arm and stood up, "I will grant you divorce this very minute. Did you think once what will go through your parents? Your father? You mother?" At the mention of her father, her face paled. He easily discerned that he had hit the target. "But I am thinking wisely not like you. Its better you stop your dreaming of the illusions that Daud had conjured and instead start living in the present."

He whirled around and left for the bathroom.

Closing her eyes, she heaved as tears dripped from her tired and bleak eyes. His words were like spears that hit her soul. She was trapped in a never ending spiral of sorrow and misery. She was in no mood to change the wedding dress instead she curled on her side of the bed, hugging herself, she closed her eyes.

Let dreams take over her despair.

Perhaps in her dreams, she will escape from the harshness of reality.

But sleep was far away as tears trickled to her temple and on to the pillow. A silent plea fled her lips.

Ya Allah help me.... please.

****

Salman was hunched over the bathroom sink. His hands gripping strongly the edge of the sink. His knuckles turning white. His head lowered and chest rising and falling rapidly. His nostrils flared. Furiously, he splashed cold water on his face. Droplets dripped from the front dark locks that were covering his violent eyes. Water dribbled down his huge dark eyes, arrogant nose, perfectly chiselled lips to his dimpled chin.

How dare she?

He wanted to trash things around. Break bones. Especially Daud's. That asshole had corrupted her mind and heart. And it hurt. Hurt deeply trampling his heart with just two words. He gritted his teeth so hard that he felt they might get loose. He had to get Daud's junoon (crazy obsession) out of her mind. She was his and only his.