Chapter 60

Heavy eyelids rose. The bright light of the hospital room blinded her. Blurry images and indistinct colours were in front of her. Nawal blinked several times until her eyes focused. She only saw the one person she least expected.

Salman. Her husband. The man who had deserted her.

"Salman," she whispered.

His head shot up and their eyes met. Perplexed, she gazed at his weathered face as tears glistened in his eyes. He had a much longer beard. It had grown below his chin. There were dark circles and puffiness around his eyes. His long hair falling on his forehead and his face.

"Nawal," he breathed.

Bringing her hand to his lips, he kissed her fingers in gratitude. His eyes never leaving hers. A tear dribbling down his cheek.

"Alhumdulilah....Alhumdulilah (Praise be to Allah)" he repeatedly mumbled. Oh how much he wished he could embrace her. Bring her close to his chest. To feel her warmth and her heart beating against his. Appreciating her for who she was. But he couldn't. She was laying flat on the ICU bed with many equipments to her body.

Her mind was not accepting what she was seeing.

What had happened?

Where was she?

And what was this consistent throbbing at the back of her head?

"W..w..." her voice croaked. She couldn't speak. Her throat was parched and scratchy. She grunted, putting an effort to clear her throat. She inhaled deeply, air filling up her chest.

Salman eyebrows drew together, seeing Nawal in discomfort, he immediately pressed the button to call the nurse.

"W...w...water," she rasped.

Nodding curtly, he glanced at the nurse who entered the room. "She is awake and is asking for water."

Nawal looked at the nurse with questions in her eyes. As her eyes wandered around the room, she started to realize she was in the hospital. What did happen to her?

The old nurse smiled, "That's great news. As for water, we can give her a teaspoon at a time for now."

"Okay," he muttered.

Grabbing the mineral water bottle on the table beside the bed, Salman took hold of the spoon the nurse gave him.

The teaspoon full of water he carefully brought it to her lips. Her chapped lips opened slightly and he slipped the teaspoon vigilantly in her mouth. The few drops of water wasn't enough to eradicate her thirst.

"More." Nawal said in a low tone.

"No that's not advisable at the moment. Let the doctor come and examine. Accordingly, we will determine whether she can intake fluids." The nurse glanced at the IV fluids bottled that were attached to her hand, "She shouldn't be dehydrated as she is on constant IV fluid."

Nodding imperceptibly, Salman turned back to Nawal. He squeezed her hand affectionately, his eyes speaking what his lips didn't utter.

She didn't fathom at all. What was going on? Why was she in the hospital? There was a sense of emptiness in her. Was she hungry? She felt her stomach was too empty. Muddled, she gazed at Salman. She had so many questions but she wasn't able to voice them.

Her eyelids drooped. It was excruciating to keep them open.

"Stay with me Nawal. Don't go back to sleep yet. The doctor is on his way to examine you," Salman's desperate voice snapping her out of the sleepy haze. There was fear laced in his voice.