Chapter 32

Her chest was rising and falling rapidly as her heart thudded erratically. He was so close she could easily count the small spikey hair in his thick eyelashes. His lips lightly touched hers, "Answer me, Nawal."

His lips trailed down to her pointed chin. She swallowed in nervousness, the movement didn't go unnoticed by Salman. His nose lightly rubbed along the frail skin of her throat. Lips at the base of her neck as she sucked in breath. Her eyes closed and she whispered, "You know what I think of you?"

His hand pushed away her dupatta off her shoulder and it fell in a graceful pool of silk. Hands glided down her sides feeling her curves, he clutched her waist tightly, "What?"

Her fingers slipped in his black locks and she lifted his head so that their eyes met. Solemnly, she murmured, "You are worse than a woman on her periods."

His eyes widened and he pushed himself away from her, staggering backwards.

Biting her lower lip to stop from smiling, "Look at your mood swings!!! You can be so unpredictable." She crossed her arms over her chest, "So my dear husband when I am on my periods and being unreasonable you better shut your mouth and accept it as rest of the month I am enduring your mood swings."

He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out. Frustratingly, he ran his fingers through his hair, looking away he muttered, "You really know how to blow a man's ego," he glanced at her, "That's the worst insult I have ever heard."

She grinned cheekily, "And that's what I LOVE about you. When you can be unpredictable so can I."

He shook his head in astonishment, "How do you expect a man to react to your jibes?"

"Maybe sulk in his misery?" she lifted her chin in a challenge.

He narrowed his eyes and took a step closer to her, "You want sulk? I will show you sulk,"

Hastily picking her dupatta from the floor, she shrieked as she ran off to the door. Sticking her tongue out over her shoulder, she giggled and stepped out of their bedroom.

"Grow up Nawal!!" he called after her.

He thought she left and didn't listen but he was wrong yet again, "You grow up first" came a reply from the stairs.

She always had to have the last say. His wife was a big challenge. It was not what he had thought of his married life. But at least he wouldn't be bored. Oh no definitely not even one mundane moment with her. And he loved it.

A woman on her periods? Really?

Seriously, only Nawal could say that to him. Smiling to himself and shaking his head in disbelief, he sauntered to his closet to get his clothes out for the evening.

****

A week had passed since their last argument but that didn't mean they didn't banter. Not even a day passed by when they didn't argue over something and as usual most of the times Salman would let go in frustration. She was difficult no slash that she was impossible. Headstrong, stubborn and most of all fearless. He was slowly accepting her reckless personality but there were times he wished she was more amenable and obedient rather than acting like an opposing party ready to jump on him with verbal attacks. Would he ever see an obedient and agreeable wife in her? He doubt it but he secretly hoped so.

On a Friday morning, she expressed her desire to spend the weekend at Shahbaz's home. Salman was standing in front of the mirror fixing the knot of his tie before he left for work. He was dressed in a white shirt and navy blue formal pants and was knotting his pure silk sky blue tie. His lips twitched in displeasure and his forehead creased in annoyance.