Chapter 11

Content warning: Mature content

"Bhai Sahib, look at him. Look what that wild animal did to my poor son." Seema exclaimed pointing at a battered Salman.

Salman wasn't able to meet anyone's eye. He had tried to stop his mother but she had been insistent. So he went along. And now they were seated at Ghazala's living room and Shabbir was quietly scrutinizing Salman.

After a moment of silence, Shabbir asked in his authoritative voice, "What exactly happened Salman?"

"Bhai, my poor son had gone to confront Daud but that animal wasn't able to control his anger." Seema replied even before Salman could have answered.

"Seema I didn't ask you. Let the him speak for himself." Shabbir rasped making Seema keep quiet and sit back on the sofa. She covertly glanced at her sister, who was silently watching the scene unfold in front of her. Praying silently, that now Allah listen to her plea and change her husband's decision, Ghazala was holding on to the single ray of hope.

Salman cleared his throat. He had to decide whether to tell the truth or hide some of the details. His gaze flickered to his Khala who was hopefully looking at him as if he had the key to the treasure box. His mom also sat beside him waiting for him to reveal the secrets. Salman hardly lied but right now he had two options to tell the truth and lose the one chance of getting back the girl of his dreams or lie and hide the details so that he can get her back. He knew he was doing wrong but right now he had to try. He chose the latter.

"I had to talk to him about Nawal whether he is sincere about her. He just laughed it off." Shabbir frowned, this encouraged Salman to go on, "He said... he said... that it was all part of the game. He was not serious about her and when I got angry, he became violent and then there was no stopping him. He punched and kicked me." He paused and a thought strike him, what if Daud comes here and show his wounds, "Naturally I had to defend myself."

Shabbir was quiet and contemplating on what he had heard. He was tensely sitting on the sofa in deep thoughts. Ghazala observed his posture and that stimulated her to further manipulate him, "My poor Salman beta." She stood up and walked up to her nephew. Cradling his face in her hands she kissed his forehead. "How much my poor beta has endured only because he wants the well-being of our daughter. Look how caring he is."

Taking the cue, Seema cautiously said, "Bhai sahib you are also forgetting Daud's madness to take revenge on Salman. He is trying his best to crash his family business using different malicious strategies. You haven't given your answer to them yet. Please think it over. It's the matter of your daughter's life."

Shabbir sighed, "I will think about it." He mumbled still in his thoughts.

Salman was relieved that perhaps now his uncle will change his mind. He stood up to go to the toilet. When he stepped out of the living room and walked in the hallway, a fuming Nawal blocked his way, she was glaring at him.

"How could you? You are lying." She hissed.

Salman looked away unable to meet her gaze.

"I have no respect for you anymore. I had never thought you would stoop so low to get what you want."

"It's for the best..." Salman started but Nawal cut him off.

"Best for who? You? Then hear this. If they force me to become your bride. Do not expect me to be your obedient loving wife." She laughed humourlessly, "and definitely I will never develop any feelings for a swine like you."

She whirled around and skidded up the stairs.

Salman froze in his place. He didn't know how to react to what she just said. He wanted a loving relationship with his spouse something like what his parents had. He rubbed his face and winced at the pain because of the bruises reminding of him of Daud's arrogance. His jaw clenched, no matter what Nawal thought. He will not back off.