Chapter 61

Again this book has been copied and displayed on another website. This time it was on Facebook. This is a warning to readers who believe they can copy the text and promote it as their own story. I am eventually going to find out. And I am going to take severe legal actions against whoever violates the copyrights. This is to warn all those who are currently copying or have in the past.

---------------------------

Nawal clutched tightly the steel frame of the walking aid. Her eyebrows drew together in concentration. Sweat trickling down her hairline to her temple. Biting her lower lip, she lifted her one heavy foot. The simple act of taking steps was a huge ordeal now. Her foot was lifeless, she had to drag herself and put in excruciating effort to take the step. When her foot landed on the floor again she exhaled deeply.

"Good. C'mon just a few more steps," the physiotherapist encouraged.

She pushed forward her other leg.

The physiotherapist hissed in displeasure, "Not like that. Lift your foot up."

Nawal didn't look up, she was ashamed of not trying hard enough. But the fact was, it was not easy at all. In fact, a dread was setting within her, perhaps she would never be like how she was prior to this accident that still she didn't remember.

A warm masculine hand covered her own on the walking stand, "Nawal look at me."

Reluctantly, she raised her head and gazed at the man who was beside her at all her waking hours. Through this agony of recovering her health, he was becoming her strength steadily. Their eyes met. Over the days, he had changed. He wasn't the same man she had married. He wasn't the same man she knew prior to the accident. In fact, he was entirely a new person.

His face softened, he squeezed her hand affectionately, "Our Rania is waiting for her mother. I want you to walk out that door," he pointed at her hospital room door, "So that when you are home, you can walk around with our daughter. And when times come help her learn to walk."

She pursed her lips, stopping them from quivering.

"Please, Nawal you have to do this. The Nawal I know is a fighter. I want to see that Nawal again." He gently tucked the loose strand behind her ear.

"I will." She whispered.

He feigned bewilderment, "I didn't hear you. Say it louder."

"I will," this time she said with more determination.

He grinned and stepped back. There was no more hesitation in Nawal's efforts as she took the next two steps with meticulousness.

In a couple of minutes, the physiotherapy session was over, the physiotherapist noted down the progress in Nawal's hospital file as she murmured, "Good job Nawal. If you keep this up we should see much more recovery than before."

Nawal leaned back on the pillows, her eyes flickered at Salman. He was proudly smiling. "She will. Just a few more days." He said with such strong conviction that even Nawal believed him.

A couple more days and she would be free to go home.

****

The late summer showers were pouring down, flooding the lowlands. The birds hid under the safety of leafy trees. The thirsty soil absorbed the much needed rain. New blooms emerged and grew fuller to their size. In amidst the changes of the weather, Daud's recovery was slow. It wasn't due to lack of strength or capability. But his determination was lost now.

A week after proposing to Susan, he stood against the wooden doorframe of the backyard door, gazing out at his parents' wet backyard garden. He brought the cigarette to his mouth and inhaled deeply. The smoke he exhaled turned to mist in the rain.