Chapter 5

Content warning: Strong language

As evening approached, the guests at the Siddiqui house left. The mature sisters along with Chloe were cleaning the kitchen. Chloe was packing the left over foods in fridge storage boxes. Ghazala was washing dishes and Seema was clearing the kitchen counter.

"Where did Nawal go?" Ghazal frowned, "She should be helping out."

Seema smiled, "Manal wanted to go out to get hot chocolate from the nearby Butlers Chocolate café so she along with Nawal have gone there."

Ghazala's frown deepened and muttered, "Why didn't she ask me?"

"Because you were in the toilet and I let them go." Seema shrugged nonchalantly.

Chloe was observing Ghazala, after a moment of silence, she finally spoke up, "You know Ghazala you should give the girl a break. You are always after her."

Ghazala sighed and her shoulders drooped as she soaped the plate, "I know but I fear that she would make mistakes that most make during their youth."

"Baji, I honestly admire her. She is a very lively girl and I always enjoy when she comes over. She is never a bother at all." Seema walked up to her older sister and leaned forward to turn off the tap.

Ghazala turned to look at her sister in bewilderment. There were still few dishes left, why did she turn off the tap?

Taking her older sister's hand, Seema urged her to follow her and sit on the chair by the kitchen table. Chloe also sat down as well. Looking solemnly straight into her sister's eyes, Seema said humbly, "I really like Nawal. I want to make her my daughter in law."

Ghazala's eyes widened, "What?" her hand flew to her mouth stifling her gasp.

At that precise moment, Salman had come to the kitchen to drink water and stood frozen at the words that were uttered by his mother. He eyed his elder Khala in anticipation, unable to move.

Ghazala and Seema were oblivious to his appearance but Chloe was able to read his face. She could see a longing in the young man's eyes. She smiled knowingly, understanding it was not only Seema's wish but rather also Salman's desire to have Nawal as his wife.

"Yes, Baji." Seema nodded, "If you agree I would like to ask for Nawal's hand for my Salman."

Ghazala eyes filled with tears and said in a hoarse voice, "I had never imagined." Then she laughed in merriment, "Salman would be an ideal husband for her. Someone who is mature enough to take care of her."

Seema wiped Ghazala's tears, "So is that a yes then?"

Ghazala smiled amidst her tears, "Yes of course." She nodded and then her forehead creased, "But I would not want to tell Nawal yet. Let us wait. I want to do istekhara first and then talk to Nawal."

Seema eagerly nodded, "Of course I understand."

"I will do istekhara and speak to Shabbir and then inshaa Allah give my final answer. But oh Seema you have made me so happy" Ghazala stood up and hugged her sister. Both sisters were crying and Chloe smiled.

"I can hear wedding bells," she said mischievously. Both sisters started giggling.

Salman sighed in relief and left the emotional scene knowing it wasn't long before Nawal would come to this house as his bride.

****

After the office hours, a meeting was held among Salman and the secret investigators at the Irish Halal Food Centre.