Chapter 3 - Uzumaki Naruto

Chapter three - Uzumaki Naruto 

Sitting on the motionless swing is a kid, probably around 7 years old. His back is facing me.

“This kid, what is he doing here all alone? Shouldn’t his parents be worried? Its already autumn, aren’t he cold in that short sleeve shirt…? Wait, don’t tell me he’s a gamin (homeless kid).” I can’t help but to ask myself these questions.

The sky got slightly darker and cloudy, looks like its gonna rain.

I approach the lone kid and he lethargically turns his head towards my direction as he hears my foot steps in the sand. This kid has a sad look in his eyes; at the same time they give off a hint of being annoyed…

I kind of feel bad. Unconsciously, I gave him a genius kind smile. For some reason the boy’s eyes slightly widened. I thought of nothing more and asks him:

“Hey boy, why are you here by yourself?”

He didn’t answer me. Instead, he lowers his head in a melancholy gaze.

I feel a little panic and awkward.

“O ne san…” He quietly whispered.

"Hm?" I bend down to his height.

He looks up at me and quickly avoids my eyes.

"Because no one wants to play with me.." He said in an almost inaudible voice.

"...." I'm almost nonplussed after hearing his response.

Drip drip drip.... Splash--- A sudden rain shower turns into a steady downpour. Thunders begin to roar.

"Oh no, boy you'll get wet in that light shirt..!" Without thinking, I took off my outer coat to cover him and ran to the nearest roof edge while grabbing the kid close to me.

Safe under the roof, I looked down at the silent boy, who clearly looks uncomfortable.

“Euhhh.. I’m sorry for grabbing you so suddenly, hope I didn’t hurt you or something.”

Surprisingly he looked up at me with a faint blush on his cheeks. He actually looked a little cute here hehe. The rain battered the roof like a hail of bullets. The atmosphere softened and I asked him about himself.

“What’s your name boy?”

“Naruto! Uzumaki Naruto!” He said enthusiastically.

“My name is Michitoki Hisako, from the Michitoki Clan!”

“Michitoki?” Naruto asked curiously.

“Yeah it’s actually not too far from the Hidden Leaf Village. You never heard of it?”

“Nope.”

Well actually I’m not surprised since our clan is small and never did anything flashy. Just moments ago this kid was still lugubrious, he sure have quick mood swings! Oh his stomach just growled.

“Are you hungry Naruto?”

“Hm..” He nodded.

“Com’on, the rain has lessened, we’ll go somewhere to eat, my treat!”

“Ohh..Ahhh! Can we go to Ichiraku Ramen?? Please please please!” Naruto’s shiny eyes pleaded.

“Let’s go!”

We walked away together in the hissing rain with my coat still on Naruto.