Chapter 40 - A Thing to be Noticed

Chapter 40 – A Thing to be Noticed

Dawn broke. Team Guy successfully ensured the Land of Fire's safety against any form of incursion. During the previous night, Yonakamaru delivered my message to Tsunade just in time for her to send out emergency alerts to all patrolling squads to hunt down the remaining enemies working under Orochimaru. At the same time, an Intelligence Division unit was immediately dispatched to retrieve the three bodies of the Otogakure Ninjas. Back at the laboratory, they deciphered the corpses' memory cells to trace information about Orochimaru's motive. The last enemy's brain tissues were destroyed as another side effect of the suicide pill he had swallowed prior his death. But the medical Ninjas doubt the pill was intentionally made that way to prevent leakage of sensitive information. It was a very rough night, but before dawn, everything was assured.

By early morning, most of the Jounins sent out on missions have returned to the Village. Our job is done. Back at the Hokage Office, Tsunade looked visibly pleased with our last night's mission. Above all, she praised our Team's efficiency in delivering the urgent message in time, which immensely helped with the enemies' capture.

"Good job, Team Guy! There's no telling what will happen if the other patrolling squad unites failed to detect the enemies. All this is thanks to you, Team Guy!" Tsunade earnestly complemented us

Shizune sincerely smiled to our effort.

Exiting the Hokage Residence, Tenten yawned while giving her arms a good stretch: "Ahh-! We can finally go home and rest!"

"No, Tenten, this is the perfect time to train! Exert more strains to our tired muscles can improve our endurance!" Lee claimed in pure passion

"Lee, are you serious? We just had an all-nighter mission!" Tenten complained

Lee turned to me and asked: "Hisako-san, would you like to join me in my training with Guy Sensei?"

"When I'm not sleepy I just might be interested..." I rubbed my tired eyes

"I see..." He looked down in disappointment

"There was something strange about that spy Ninja from Otogakure last night.. Did anyone noticed?" I suddenly commented; the three turned their attention to me

"When the last one was pinned to the ground by Guy Sensei, he deliberately leaked out that he was working for Orochimaru."

"What do you mean, Hisako-san?" Lee politely asked

"He faked a loyal image by asking for his own death upon failing his team's mission, but in reality he had no intention of guarding Orochimaru's plans. Or else why would he reveal that he had a tie with him? Also, since they were spies, ninja battles weren't their specialty. Still, they chose to attack us, knowing they would lose."

Guy pensively held his chin with his hand, trying to recall last night's event.

I went on: "he hinted us that they knew valuable information so we would want to take them back to the Intelligence Division. In the end, he swallowed the pill because he knew the other two had died, but their memory cells should be undamaged for data extraction."

"Gasp.. Now you mentioned it.." Tenten still looked a little puzzled

"I expect no less from you, Hisako-san! You are amazing at analyzing!" Lee clutched his fist in full admiration

"So.. This means that.. The Otogakure Ninjas waited for the opportunity to betray that Orochimaru. At the cost of their life." Guy commented

I nodded. "Probably so."

"Shouldn't we inform this to Tsunade-sama?" Tenten suggested

"Nah. All that Ninja wanted was for us to extract their information to reveal Orochimaru's plan. Now their wish had already come true. Betrayal happens all the time, something like this might just be a personal grudge they held against that Orochimaru." I replied

Tenten: "hm.."

We dismissed ourselves later on and went home. Lee gave me a hand-drawn map to a Dojo, which he claimed as his own. He wished that he could challenge me one day. I promised that I would.

I returned to my Clan and directly tumbled on my futon, followed by a deep slumber. By sunset, I woke up and had supper. At dusk, I decided to take a hot bath. While opening my drawer to find a clean bathrobe, I noticed Deidara's cloak, neatly folded among my other clothing. I smile and took it out; the smell of clay reminded me of that night.