Chapter 51 - Bold and Talks by the Book

I woke up in a hospital bed, not knowing what time or day is was. My last bit of memory was seeing Yamato's face after the reinforcement has arrived on the battle field. Hm.. so Zetsu was always following me, huh? I wonder if he's in this room right now.. haha. My eyes scanned around; the window is wide open, making the gossamer-fabric curtains drifting with the wind. No sign of anyone else. A papered clipboard lying beside me came into sight. My hand slowly reached it and brought it to my eyes: severe wound in the abdomen area, completely pierced through with damaged organs. A deep stab in the left shoulder and three broken ribs. I couldn't digest what I just read, this written version is scarier than going through the experience itself. I didn't dare to move anymore body parts than my right hand lest the wounds would tear and bleed.

The door was gently opened and Yamato entered, holding a small bundle of fresh flowers in one hand. A pale skined boy dressed in a simple dark coloured outfit followed behind. I have never seen him before. Yamato was surprised to see me in a conscious state. He replaced the slightly dried out flowers in the vase with his new ones and sat down on a chair beside my bed. I just realized that he must have came here regularly, judging from his adept way of arranging the flowers.

"How are you feeling, Hisako-san?" Yamato asked with a smile. "Oh, excuse-me. I should introduce the new visitor first: this is Sai." He gestured to the boy.

"Hello. Judging from your condition, I guess that you are weak and got beat up." He said with a normal and calm expression on his face

Everyone sweatdropped...

"Well... Sai-kun, what you said is kind of true.." I awkwardly said with a laugh

"Oh boy.." Yamato facepalmed himself. "I'm so sorry, Hisako-san! He didn't mean to be rude, that is just how he talks.. I'll discipline him later! ahaha...ha." He sighed.

The room fell silent

"Ah-hem." Yamato cleared his throat, "Haru-san paid you several visits these days while you were still unconscious. He wanted me to tell you that the mission was a success"

After a short silence, he continued: "the ANBU squad all mourned for Toshi-senpai's loss.. He was a reliable teammate.." Grief and sorrow showed on Yamato's face as he mentioned Toshi. They must have been well acquainted since Yamato is also in the ANBU. "On the other hand, Tsunade-sama would like to know what happened after you went into the woods to chase after Toshi-senpai. I know this is a sensitive subject for you right now... But 10 days has passed since the incident and she wants to be informed as soon as possible."

"I slept for ten days! Heavens..." I was shocked

I told him the details, but omitted the part where Zetsu came out because otherwise my link with the Akatsuki would be leaked. Yamato's reaction was astonished. "I will immediately report it to the Hokage! I'll be back, Sai! Keep her company!"

And he left.

I sighed. Sai still showed no significant reaction, even though I just recounted an incident regarding the Akatsuki. Maybe he never heard about it? "Sai-kun, isn't? So.. what's your hobby?" I asked

"I love to draw, and paint. How about you?" His response was passionless, so artist-unlike

"I meditate sometimes. It calms my spirit. Other than that I like traveling and occasionally gamble a bit."

"Tsunade-sama is known as the big fat goat in the gambling society. Are you similar to her?" Sai frankly asked, showing a slight interest. "It says here in this book that your conversation partner will feel honoured to be compared with a successful or powerful person." He took out a small book from his pocket bearing the title of "The Art of Flattering". Man, what he said is doing the opposite!

"Ehhh... not really." I awkwardly laughed. I tried to switch topic: "so, what's your relationship with Yamato-san?"

He hesitated a second and put his hand under his chin to think. "Hm.. I guess we used to be acquaintances with different goals placed together by our superiors. But now I regard him more as a team captain. Someone I met along the way changed my perspective for a bit."

Sai gave a small smile. At last he showed a little human emotion. Who might be that "someone" he mentioned? This individual seemed to have played an important part in this stoic boy. However, I was more interested in the "superiors" he talked about. I need to get to know more about authority figures in Konoha so that I will have an idea who might possess confidential information that could be linked to the Uchiha Massacre.

"You and Yamato-san are a part of a team? Who arranged it?" I deliberately asked

"I'm not allowed to talk about it."

Now that just peaked my curiosity even more.