Chapter 48 - All for the Sake of Bounty Hunting

Getting a glimpse at the two Akatsukis, the standing member possesses a tall stature. The sole distinguishing feature is his eyes' unusual red and green colours. The rest of his face is hidden behind a grey hood partially covered by a black mask.

The fair skinned member laying on the ground has a face as if he died in ecstasy. Some dried blood stained at the lips' corner, his silver hair was neatly slicked back.

I'm in a very unfavorable position at the moment.. They just eliminated Toshi, a much more experienced ANBU than myself. There's no way I can possibly defeat them. Nothing is known about these new opponents yet, I'd be long dead by the time they have demonstrated their powers. But luckily, one of them seems to be incapacitated already.

"Just now, you Akatsuki people killed an ANBU, didn't you?" I tried to make my tone sound neutral. My partner's death still upsets me. But the Captain once explained that it's critical for ANBUs to not let their emotions get the best of them in tight situations.

The "corpse" laying on the ground abruptly lifted his head, "hah! So what if we did! He burned himself off before he could be put to use for my ceremony!"

Cripes, he is still breathing?! But that lance pierced through his vital spot!

"Shut up Hidan. New enemies came to interrupt our business because you had too much fun earlier. I'll end this one with less commotion." The other one chastised his partner in a husky voice

"These two really suck at teamwork.. Do they always quarrel in front of enemies?" I thought

Hidan lashed out: "Kakuzu you greedy bastard! Don't forget, I came to this damn forest because of your own avarice! That's why you still can't get a fucking wife!"

"Hidan! Just you wait." The supposed one called Kakuzu narrowed his eyes with an extreme irritated look. "I have no interest in women, they can't be trusted."

He continued: "since we are already here, we can't leave without what we came here for.."

It seems their altercation had almost made them forget about me..

"What is your objective here?" I asked

Kakuzu turned around from his partner and faced me: "since you will be dead soon, I'll tell you. We are going to the adjacent Clan to search for a man called Katsuro. The Black Market had placed a bounty of 28 million ryo on his head. But, before any of our plan can be executed, I will finish you off first."

Behind my porcelain mask, a sweat slid down my face. No wonder Katsuro was in a bad shape; he is a Shinobi after all. If they get inside the Otouko Clan, everything will be over. Tsk! Just when our mission was about to end did this troublesome pair show up. Its my duty to stop them in order to protect everyone... Even though I can almost guarantee that I will be killed in the process.

Kakuzu: "Get ready."

"!?"

His speed was too great, I couldn't see his movement. I barely dodged his first punch. The empty attack created a decent leveled wind brushing through my face. I'd be sent to the after world if he hits my vital spots.

I quickly flipped backwards and landed on a three branch. To my surprise, Kakuzu was no where to be seen on the ground.

"Too slow." The Akatsuki shifted to my backside and landed a blow with his left knee. The impact thrust the rest of me down the ground. Some blood oozed through my lips. Three of my ribs are broken.

"What strengh.." I wiped the blood off my lips

I'm not going to win against him by using Taijustu. Our physical strength couldn't possibly be paralleled. I guess long-range Ninjutsu attacks might work out better.

I suppressed the pain and stood up. There's no time to heal the internal wound with Medical Ninjutsu for I still lack the precision to perform it within a limited time frame, like now. So pathetic..

Earth Release: Moguragakure no Jutsu! I sank into the ground underneath. This technique enables me to dig like a mole by channelling my chakara into my surroundings. While hiding underground, I could come up with a strategy while still be able to locate enemies on the surface.

I see Kakuzu staying alert at my disappearance.

Earth Release: Tsuchi Kairō! The ground around Kakuzu rose, forming a dome at an attempt to incarcerate him. The cell hardened into solid rocks. He can't escape now.

I emerged from the earth, standing before the rock dome prison. Now.. the other one.

"Oi, Kakuzu!" Hidan yelled

The silvered hair Akatsuki is still performing his "ceremony". If he really is worried about his partner, can't he just end it? But.. that would be quite an disadvantage for me.

"Hm!" The rock dome shattered. Kakuzu smashed it from the inside with a single blow!

"What monstreous force..!" I gasped

"Ah! I'm finally done! That was a nice prayer.." Hidan stood up and cracked his neck

"Now then.. I just might lend you a hand, Kakuzu-chan~" He said with a quirky tone

"Shut up, Hidan. I'll make sure to kill you after I'm done with this ANBU."

I clenched my teeth in apprehension. Just Kakuzu alone was more than a handful. Now the two of them against me means certain death!