Chapter 23 - Itachi's Genjutsu

The first time I encountered Uchiha Itachi was in the past Uhiha Clan. He was the only person who felt strange about my presence. What did he know about me? And after the massacre, there was supposed to be solely one survivor, who should be a younger kid. Wait.. after all the Uchiha who whipped out the Clan was missing too...

I felt my chest muscles contrasting intensely; my sweat mingled with the rain drops on my skin and dripped down my jawline. "It can't be.."

"The man who slaughtered his entire Clan in a single night...! Uchiha Itachi!" Yamato clenched his teeth

This can't be happening.. On that day, he came up to me, face to face, shortly before the massacre. How could I not knowing the name of the Shinobi behind that incident?! I could have tried to stop him if I knew his true identity...! I'm worthless! I don't deserve to be the heir of our Clan's kekkei genkai! The feeling of guilt and the aftershock are just too great to handle.

"I don't know why you look so shocked, but we'll discuss it later, snap out of it, Hisako!" Kakashi said sternly

"Right.."

"Now then..." Itachi took another step. "My job is to take care of the intruders... but before that.."

Kakashi took out a kunai in front of him. "Hisako, stay behind me!"

Itachi's body was a clone, it dispersed into multiple phantom crows. Their cries were piercing.

Suddenly I found myself alone in a strange dark ambiance. The crows flew above me, their eyes were bloody red. Kakashi and Yamato were nowhere to be found.

An eerie voice echoed from ubiquity: "It's been a long time... since that day."

I onerously looked for the voice's origin but I'm all alone.

"Itachi! It was you who slaughtered the Uchiha Clan wasn't it?! What do you have against your own people?!" I yelled in frustration

There was a brief pause

"Other Clan's business doesn't concern you, girl.. To think you would look exactly the same after eight years, what are you..?"

"Where is this place?!" I demanded

"You are under my Genjutsu.." The same voice shadowed

My surrounding took me back to that day, the day I entered the Uchiha Clan. Itachi's Genjutsu world was sepia. I must be an invisible being, people walked through me, no one noticed my presence. I was standing in that very same spot, facing the middle aged Lady's bakery stand. A much younger Itachi in his ANBU attire had his side facing me, just like before. The world suddenly... paused; people immobilized on their track, including those of obliqueness. Itachi turned around to face me, staring directly into my eyes. He was free to move, and the only one to be able to see me among anyone else in his Genjutsu. Again, I took back a step, I'm perfectly aware that I'm repeating the same movement patterns of that day, but I can't control my body. Itachi walked to me, this time keeping his eye contact the whole time. His Sharingan's tomoes turned from two into three; they actually gave off a spinning movement around the central pupil.. I could only use the word mesmerizing to describe his eyes. Given the privilege to see the legendary Sharingan up this close. Not only that, those eyes themselves are just gorgeous.

"Your Chakara is so different... I was able to distinguish you among the mass." Said Itachi, looking into my eyes

Despite being younger and shorter than me in this Genjutsu world, his gaze was intimidating. I feared he might know about my kekkei genkai. Perhaps people from an other time has different Chakaras, or else how would he be able to tell the difference?

"Why would you say that?" I placidly asked

"My Sharingan is able to sense Chakara."

This is bad..! I guess I won't be able to hide it any longer then..?

"That night, I thought you died."

Hearing this, my head turned blank, I was completely, utterly confused.

"However, it must be done. More blood would shed if they don't die. Tell me.. why would you want to stop me, that night of the massacre..?"