Chapter 43 - At last

Chapter 43 – At last

Today, I was summoned to the office again by the Hokage. I presumed she would want to assign me another mission, but it wasn't the case. Tsunade offered me a persuasion, to join the Konoha ANBU.

"The ANBU is a distinct assassination and tactical squad that execute special high-level missions. Their goal is to protect Konoha, in exchange of having their lives exposed under constant threats. The ANBU is mainly responsible to carry high-risk missions involving assassinations, infiltrations and facing exceptionally strong opponents. Once an ANBU is mortally wounded or died, their body must be destroyed to prevent information leakage into the enemies' hands." Tsunade gravely said in frown

The atmosphere turned increasingly austere. A sweat slid down my face, hearing the dark side of the ANBU. The real squad is much more life threatening and appalling than how I assumed it would be.

"The ANBU take direct orders from me and each member is carefully hand picked for their individual skills and competence. Age, gender and background are no factors to be considered. We only chose the best. Hisako, will you join it?" Tsunade finally asked the question

At last came the opportunity I've been waiting for. After I set the determination to revive the Uchiha Clan, I contributed much effort to get a chance to come across two Konoha ANBUs. I ended up saving their lives and helping Tsunade further on the Village's missions. Finally did I earn her trust, I'm a part of Konoha itself now. All this was to get closer to the top, to those who know about the authentic truth of the Uchiha Clan massacre. The ANBU's secret nature is tightly linked with all these confidential resources. Despite the danger of risking my life, I must overcome it. Its now or never..

"I will join it." I finally said

"Hm." Tsunade gave an affirming nod

"Aside from me and the Konoha Elders, identities of the ANBU are to remain secret. You will change into the ANBU uniform and your face must always be hidden under the mask, regardless where you are. However, you are free to expose your face when you are dressed in regular attires. Never reveal to anyone that you are an ANBU, understand?" Her firm voice ordered

"Hai."

Shizune later led me into a remote room inside the Hokage residence to hand me my ANBU attire. The door was camouflaged by a Seal only to be broken with a release justsu. My own mask is made of lightweight white porcelain. The shape looks like that of a canis (a carnivore of the wolf and dog family). The lower half of the mask where the muzzle is supposed to be, protruded slightly. The peepholes for the eyes are small but don't bother me too much. They must have been made this way to conceal the ANBU's gaze, which can reveal their identity.

I fully dressed up in the uniform and found myself almost unrecognizable. The top consists of a sleeveless grey flak jacket and metal arm guards. Shizune attached a sword on the right side of my back with the handle pointing upward for an easy draw. I just remembered seeing a similar weapon on Yamato's back. It must be a part of the ANBU's standard attire.

"Now you shall receive a permanent tattoo like everyone else in the ANBU squad~!" Shizune evilly grinned

An old dirty glass leaning by the wall gave me a full body reflection.

"No way I look too cool!"

My expression turned serious as I remembered my purpose of joining this squad. From today on, I'm an ANBU working directly under the Hokage, ready to sacrifice myself in every arduous mission. Finally, if I conquer all that comes to me, I shall be another step closer to my goal. My fist clenched in determination.