Chapter 37 - Kakashi's Ninja Dog and A Call from the Hokage

Chapter 37 – Kakashi’s Ninja Dog and A Call from the Hokage

I spent the whole day gambling in Shukuba Town. I wish to free my mind from the troublesome reality for a while. Jackpot. Twice.

The money I won was enough to live in a hot spring Inn for 6 months.

Even though I was happy, I didn’t react like a normal lotto winner to this sudden gain of wealth. Last night’s encounter with a man who called himself Uchiha Madara has left much things for me to ponder.

About dusk, I was enjoying kaiseki (traditional Japanese Dinner featuring seasonal and regional specialties) in my guest room. I heard fireworks coming from outside. The sounds became louder as I went opened the window. The town’s people gathered with their families, all wearing traditional Kimonos. The streets are beyond crowded. Today might be a celebration. The night sky displayed a striking show of colorful and bright streaks.

“Wow..! Transient art this is..? I wonder if Deidara likes fireworks..”

Music and cheers ringed everywhere. The air smelled of gunpowder. I wouldn’t want it to contaminate the food, so I shut the window for now.

Munch munch munch...

I turned around; a dog has its head buried in my dishes and ate a little bit of everything..!

“Hey! Where in the world did you came from?!” I lifted the dog off the dinner table; the food was already inedible by then.. covered in dog saliva. 

“Oi, young lady, are you Michitoki Hisako?”

It spoke!

“Don’t consider me as a normal dog. I’m a Ninja Dog full of dignity! And put me down!

The dog escaped from my grip and landed on the tatami floor.

“Um-hm!” He cleared his throat. “Let’s start by introduction; I’m Pakkun. Kakashi summoned me to track you down. The Hokage had new orders for you.”

So that’s how it is.. He’s not just some random dog. Pakkun is a small pug with an old man’s voice. He wore a Konoha headband and a blue vest imprinted with a big heno-heno-mo-heiji at the back.

“I see, is it urgent?” I asked

“Uhm.” Pakkun confirmed with a nod

Let’s go.

I grabbed my things and checked out the Inn as soon as possible and we set out for Konoha.

“Is the new mission concerning the Akatsuki again?” I asked while dashing through the dark woods with Pakkun

“Not quite.”

I was a little surprised to hear that.

“It seems that Hokage has more trust in you after the last mission and she wish to recruit you in more tasks.” Pakkun added

“I see.”

For some reason, these words didn’t bring me excitement or a sense of accomplishment like I thought they would. Even though all this was a part of my plan, after that Uchiha Madara said the Akatsuki’s goal was to acquire world peace, I felt different towards everything. Let things go with the flow then..!

Shukuba Town wasn’t distant from Konoha. We arrived soon enough. Inside the Village, Pakkun ran in front of me, leading the way to the Hokage Residence. Rushing up the stairs in the dim corridor, I bumped into someone that made me lose my balance. Just when I was about to fall down the stairs, a hand firmly grabbed my waist.

“Saved...” My eyes finally adjusted to the dark and recognized the person supporting me: Genma. The Jounin who went to my Clan a few weeks ago.

“That was a close one. Are you alright?” Genma asked

His face was so near from mine. Looking closely, he has a unique charming demeanor. Always had that insouciant smile, but with a little weariness this time. I blushed not knowing why.

“Um, I’m fine. Thanks.” I said, regaining my balance

“What’s with the rush?” Genma asked with a friendly smirk

“The Hokage called for me.”

“Oh that’s right! Did you know? She talked about you a lot these days. Looks like she found a competent Ninja!”

“It’s an honor for me to be recognized by the Hokage. Seems that my Clan’s alliance with Konoha is gaining momentum.” I optimistically said

“I look forward to go on future missions with you, too.” Genma said

“That would certainly be great..” I unconsciously smiled. I bet he won’t see it in this dark surrounding..

“I’ll catch up with you later, Genma”

“Yeah.”

I knocked on the Hokage Office door.

Tsunade: “Come in!”

Kakashi and Shizune were standing by her desk and turned around as they heard the door open.

“Ah, Hisako, you finally came!” Tsunade’s tone sounded agog

Looks like she’s really eager to see me.

“We got a new mission in hand and I believe no one is more suited for this than you.”