Chapter 44 - Invitation to the Kuraku Izakaya

Chapter 44 – Invitation to the Kuraku Izakaya

On the next day, the skin underneath my new tattoo was still red and swollen. I sat in my Konoha apartment and stared at my ANBU uniform hanging on the wall. I wonder what kinds of teammates will I be working with from now on.

Soon, Tsunade assigned an ANBU Captain to be my temporary mentor, who should teach me their special code of conducts, and guide me on my earliest missions.

Upon the first gathering of the ANBU squad, everyone took off their mask for a brief introduction. All of them are in their 20s or slightly older. The majority consists of male members; the number of females can be counted with one hand. At last, Yamato was present on my first day, but he was wearing a Jounin uniform. He explained that Tsunade had arranged him a long-term mission in the regular force, which cleared all my confusion. Even though Yamato heard that the Michitoki Clan had formed alliance with Konoha during his absence on a mission, he was still quite astonished that I was willing to join the ANBU.

"Long time no see, Hisako-san! From now on you may call me Yamato-senpai..!" He joked. "I hope you can soon get accustomed; girls usually don't like the ANBU's job, that's why there are only a handful of them here.."

"Thanks for your concern, Yamato-san. But you don't have to worry about it." I replied

"Do you have time tonight? I have something to talk to you about." Yamato's facial expression turned slightly serious

I nodded

"Good, if you're okay, lets' meet at the Kuraku Izakaya at seven." Yamato said

*(居酒屋 苦楽 the "joy and pain" bar house in Konoha)

The ways which ANBUs complete their missions are all about covertness and efficiency. The Captain emphasized about the importance of teamwork, since ANBUs always work in differently arranged teams, depending on the mission itself. Aside from battle skill trainings, ANBUs are required to possess a vast knowledge of the human body. My studies on Medical Jutsu will surely make things easier. Above all, the most essential skill to learn is to completely conceal one's chakara flow. It will always be useful when performing missions that need to be done in secret.

Around 6:30 pm, I went down my apartment to meet up with Yamato. I know that I was 30 minutes early, for the Izakaya was just around the corner. We are in late autumn, dusk approaches much faster than the earlier months. The streets in Konoha are more crowded at night; parents take their children out for a walk and the food stands are having good businesses.

My eyes wondered around and recognized a familiar face.

"Genma? What are you doing, selling dangos..?" I went up to a small dango shop sandwiched between two other food stands

"Eh.. haha.. I was asked to take charge of the shop for tonight. The owner isn't feeling well." Genma looked slightly embarrassed and a sweat ran down his face

"By the way, how is your stay in Konoha? It's a lot more crowed than your home isn't it?" He asked, changing the topic

"I'm doing well so far, the missions Tsunade-sama assigned me are a little overwhelming though.."

Genma laughed and said: "If it can relieve your stress a little, we could go have a drink together after I'm done for tonight."

"I'd be happy to, but tonight I'm suppose to meet Yamato-san at the Izakaya.."

"On a date?" Genma immediately asked. I think his face revealed a subtle blush.

"Eh, no no no..! Just to discuss some business together.." I quickly waved my hands to deny

15 minutes later at the Izayaka

"Over here, Hisako-san!" Yamato waved to me

"Yamato-san, you are early..!" I sat down beside him

The inside of the Izakaya was quite dim. But it gave a weird feeling of coziness. Some gloomy middle-aged man drank alone in a corner and on some other tables, tired Shinobis gathered to celebrate their mission's success.

"What would you like to drink, Hisako-san?" Yamato glanced at the menu: "they have sake and shochu.."

"Ehh? They only have alcohol?!" Yamato scanned the menu twice more

"It's a bar house after all, Yamato-san..."

"Well.. in that case, do you mind sake?"

"Nope."

A while later, Yamato poured sake for both of us and finally addressed to the main topic: "the Akatsuki activity is gaining greater momentum now.."