Chapter 47 - New Threats

Chapter 47 – New Threats

By sunset, my team has reached the forest just outside the boundary of Otouko Clan. Judging from the first glimpse, its infrastructure has outstripped any other Clan's; no wonder it's related to the Fire Daimyo. The head family resides in a shinden-zukuri style mansion* situated by the forest and lake area.

*Aristocratic mansion built during Heian Period, Japan

Standing on a giant tree branch, I turned to Toshi (Boar masked ANBU): "do we go knock on their front gate or something?"

"ANBUs don't do that. Remember, our trait is to remain as discreet as possible under any circumstance." He answered

Right.. I'm so sleepy that I forgot to shift myself to think like an ANBU..

Haru, the other one in the Cat mask spoke: "even though our patron, Daichi-sama is in that mansion, we must still appear before him without being detected by anyone else. Why don't we consume a food pill to restore our energy first?"

"Alright." munch* It tastes like a sour mud ball..

"This stuff is nauseating.." Toshi grunted in disgust

...

We concealed our presence and chakara for a successful infiltration inside the mansion.

"Byakugan!" Haru formed a hand-seal

"You are a Hyuuga?!" I didn't know since we kept our mask on the entire time

"Um. I'm a sensor type, that's why I was chosen for this mission." Haru notified us after a minute of visual search, "he's on the top floor. Let's go."

"Daichi-sama. We have arrived."

The Clan leader expected our arrival. He was a rather jovial man in a simple cotton kimono in contrast with his luxurious residence.

For this mission, we mainly have three locations to stand guard: the forest and lake area, the mansion and the rest of the Clan.

Daichi-sama had a son named Katsuro. The latter was bed-bound due to injuries from a Shinobi battle. Whoever protects the mansion is also responsible for Katsuro's safety.

Before scattering, Haru reminded me again that our presence must infallibly remain hidden until an enemy appears.

In the following days, no external threats were detected. Haru, Toshi and I had all switched positions. The scenery of the forest and lake area was especially mesmerizing. We slept little and mostly relied on the good pills for energy. On the 7th day, Daichi-sama received a message from Tsunade that the turmoil in the Land of Fire had laid down. One more night and we can go back to the Village.

Today, I'm scouting the mansion. Around sunset, sounds of violent turbulence resonated from the forest and lake area, where Toshi was supposed to be. A flock of disturbed birds emerged from the threes. I immediately grew vigilant for any approaching treats.

Some time later, the sounds tranquilized. A faint trace of blood could be scented in the air, giving off an ominous feeling. Something might have happened to Toshi. I was worried about him but afraid to go for his search lest enemies will seize the opportunity of my absence.

Just when I was stuck in ambivalence, Haru appeared.

"Hisako-san, my byakugan just detected an upheaval happening in the forest and lake area. Any further my eyes cannot reach it. But the main spot should be at least 3 km ahead. Here, the Clan's interior is safe, no need to worry about it." He said

"Great timing, can you please stay here to protect the mansion and Katsuro? I must go to Toshi's aid." I requested

Haru nodded. Without delay, I dashed into the woods, led by the scent of fresh blood. Hopefully those weren't Toshi's. Leafs and branches whipped on my bare arms as I paced through the forest. The sight of newly ravaged tree came into view. They weren't damaged last time when I was on duty in this region. I traveled at least 2.5 km by now. I reached the lake shore; the center of the forest. The evening sunlight reflected on the water.

Strange voices came from a distance. I stopped my movements to listen.

"Enough with your prayers. We have more important business to attend." A rough voice impatiently said

"Don't interrupt me, you penny-pinching atheist!" Another person argued

"Just keep up with that attitude.. You will eventually die by my hands."

Could they be the people who caused the turbulence..? I concealed my chakara to track down the voices' origin.

Finally I found them.

My mouth slightly opened to the sight of two men dressed in Akatsuki cloaks. I have seen neither of them. One laid inside a red cult circle on the grass with a long thorn stabbed in the chest. He haven't moved an inch. The other one sat on a tree stump nonchalantly. How can the latter be so calm at the death of his partner?!

My vision scanned the ground to discover a big burnt mark fused with dried blood. I felt a shock as I recalled Tsunade had once warned that ANBUs' bodies are destroyed upon being fatally injured or killed.

Then this means... Toshi died?

Rage rushed up to my chest. The Akatsuki is nothing but an evil Organization after all. Kidnapping the Kazekage and killing Konoha Shinobis is how they pursue world peace? Unforgivable..

I deliberately released my chakara.

The Akatsuki sitting on the tree stump felt my new presence and his eyes' gaze narrowed. "Hm.."

He stood up. "Another Konoha ANBU, huh? Hidan, stay where you are, I'll finish this one in 10 minutes..."