Chapter 52 - Konoha's Grief and Sai's Origin

Upheaval once again broke out in the country. News about the Akatsuki destroying the Fire Temple in a single night reached Konoha. Under great stress, the Hokage immediately formed twenty platoons consisting five four-man teams to capture the Akatsuki, dead or alive. Soon, one of the dispatched teams clashed with their searching targets— Hidan and Kakuzu. Our side has lost, resulting the death of Asuma Sarutobi.

While the village sulked in bereavement, I was still banned from going anywhere from the hospital. Only if I was stronger, and defeated one of the Akatsuki back then, the present outcome might turn out differently. I was distressed over my teammate's death. However, my kekkei genkai couldn't be used to go back and save him; the new result might be even worse. Not to sound more pessimistic, but we were lucky that Toshi was the only casualty in that mission.

A week later, Yamato and Sai came visit before leaving for a new mission. Asuma's students left the village again to hunt down the Akatsuki with Kakashi. Tsunade has ordered the two to provide them back-up support.

Sai changed his casual outfit to a Ninja attire. "What happened to your shirt, Sai?" I asked without thinking. Did it shrink during washing or something?

He politely responded with a smile: "this is our uniform, its has always been like this. Do you find it pretty?"

*sweatdrop

Yamato awkwardly laughed: "Hisako-san, Sai is from the other ANBU Black Ops division. What you see here is their standard attire."

What?! I absolutely don't remember seeing Sai on my first day in the ANBU. But, to think about it, on the night of Danzo's capture, the ANBU Captain briefly told me about the existence of another branch system.

"Sai, You're from the Root?"

"Ah, yes." He showed a subtle sign of surprise

Yamato sighed

Now I know who is in charge of Sai! Depriving my sleep on that night was well worth it! My target shall be that old man Danzo.

Before I was officially dispatched from the hospital, my Clan Elders paid me a visit. I expressed my grief about the Otouko Clan mission. On their part, they gave me a cryptic invitation to the Michitoki Shrine.

Some days later, I went back to my Clan and Masuyo-sama escorted me to our Shrine. No one ever comes here other than for the purpose of a few annual celebrations. We entered inside, the Elder stopped in front of the sacred statue: "this is it, Hisako-kun."

"There's nothing here." I bewilderedly said

Without another word, Masuyo-sama performed a long chain of hand-seals at a flickering speed; first time I see the grandma in action. She's performing our Clan's special Fuinjutsu.

"Halt!" She forcibly clapped her palms in one. The statue in front of us "moved"; its jaw hoarsely opened, revealing a hidden scroll.

Masuyo-sama fetched it and turned to me: "this is our Clan's sacred script of the Temaboroshi Jutsu. What you can perform now is the most basic stage. With this, your gekkei genkai will be perfected."