Good News...

(Jake's POV)

I woke up this morning and rolled over in bed. I've gotten so used to waking up in this wretched hospital that waking up here doesn't surprise me anymore. The past weeks have been full of radiation, MRI's, and discussions with my Doctor on how long I have till recovery. I can't even remember how long I've been here for. 

I grabbed my phone on the side of my bed, and found two texts, a missed call and a voicemail all from Jay. 

Before even looking at her texts I called her, but figured I wouldn't be able to get a hold of her because she'd already be on set by now. 

Just as I hung up my phone without being able to talk to her, my nurse walked in the room. "Good morning Jake." I looked to the clock and saw that it was already 9:30. "I've brought you breakfast and your doctor wanted to speak with you as soon as you woke up. I told him to come in at 9:45, is that alright with you?" 

"Sure, sounds good." I grabbed the tray she had for me, and began eating my oatmeal. When people say that hospital food is the worst... 

...it's an understatement. 

I can't wait to get out of this prison and eat some Real Food! 

Before I knew it, my doctor was knocking on the door to my room and walking in. "Jacob, it's good to see you this morning." I always thought it was weird he called me that. Only my pastor at church called me that... and my grandma on rare occasions. 

I continued eating while saying, "You too, Dr. Anderson." I should've finished chewing first. 

"Well Jacob, we've examined your previous MRI and found something very surprising." He paused for a moment and flipped through papers he had in a folder. "Your past tests have shown that your cancer was rapidly spreading..." 

My heart suddenly began to beat faster and faster in anxiety. He saw that I was nervous and looked to me with a smile.

"Oh Jacob, you don't need to worry. I came to you with good news this morning. What I wanted to tell you was that the radiation treatment we had you go through last week destroyed all of your cancer cells and you're now cancer free." 

I felt as though I were going to cry, but I didn't  want to show it. I just brushed it off. I think he caught on though. 

"Son, it's alright to show emotion. This is a pretty big deal." It was almost as if he were opening up to me, because I broke down crying. 

My Dad walked in the door with my step-mom. He had a small sack in his hand and a balloon. The doctor saw him walk in and stood up from the edge of my bed where he was seated. "We'd like to have you stay for one more night, but then we can release you tomorrow." He smiled and walked out leaving me with my Dad and his wife. 

"Hey son, how's everything going?" I couldn't believe he was just now deciding to show up. He walked to my bedside and handed me the sack. I didn't even want to take it. How could he have just abandoned me these passed almost four months. I hadn't seen him since Christmas and he shows up now?

He could see my hesitation and anger. "Come on son, I know we haven't been here but things got busy in New York at the office. I would've come if I could."

"That is a bunch of bull shit dad!" He was obviously stunned by my language. I hated swearing, but I almost hated him more. "I was diagnosed with something fatal, and all you care about is your stupid company. Why are you even here now? You heard the doctor, I'm cured." I rolled my eyes and looked away from him. 

"We're here to give you this." He handed me the sack and I, disgusted with him, opened the sack and pulled out a set of car keys. I looked to him, "What are these?"