His Father

(JJ's POV)

I rolled over in bed and looked at the clock to see that it was two-thirty A.M. Sleeping just wasn't in the cards for me tonight. I pulled my robe over top of my pajamas and walked down stairs. There was a dim lamp turned on, but the rest of the cabin was completely dark. I turned on the chandelier light that hung over the table, and sat looking through Jake's grandma's old cook book. It was filled with different family recipes for soups, casseroles, pies, different cakes, and tons of cookies. With the funeral being tomorrow morning I figured I should make some cookies for everyone to enjoy. I flipped to a page that had been dog eared and had stains from what I could only assume was vanilla. 

The recipe read Nana's Famous Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. I knew that was the perfect recipe. After checking the pantry for all the ingredients, I was set to make these cookies. 

I had the dough just about finished, and the over was preheated, when Jake walked downstairs rubbing his eyes. "Jay, baby, it's three A.M. What are you doing?"

"Uh," I stood there looking like an idiot I'm sure, "I couldn't sleep. So I wanted to try to make some of your Nana's cookies." 

He just stood there and laughed. "Oh please tell me you woke me up to make the Pumpkin Specialties?"

I grabbed him a glass of milk from the fridge while he sat down at the table. "Hey, I didn't wake you up, you woke yourself up. And yes, I am making those." I brushed my fingers through his bedhead hair, moving it away from his face. 

"Okay, you're forgiven then." He smirked and grabbed a handful of chocolate chips. 

I stirred the dough together after adding the chocolate chips, "Tell me about your Nana." 

"Oh gosh, my Nana was the coolest lady in the world. You would have loved her. She was always in the kitchen, and was always looking for reasons to have parties. And she loved having her family around. When she got sick, we all just kind of stopped coming around." 

"What happened to her?"

"The first day of my freshman year, we found out that she had stage four breast cancer. She didn't even make it to Christmas that year." He choked down a tear, and changed the subject. "So, you think you can live up to be the cook she used to be? These are her recipes?"

"I don't know, you tell me for yourself." I grabbed a spoon and handed him a scoop of dough. 

He put the whole thing in his mouth and smiled. "She'd be so proud!" 

We continued to make the cookies for another hour until his Grandpa came running down the stairs with a gun. "Jacob?!" He yelled, "What in the hell are you two doing?" 

Jake laughed, "Sorry Pop, JJ insisted on making some of Nana's cookies." 

"Gosh kids, you scared the crap out of me! I almost shot you?"

"Well, how about we go put the gun away, and you get a few more hours of sleep?" Jake laughed as he took the gun from his Grandpa. 

"Whatever. Just keep it quiet kids." He said as he turned back upstairs. Jake put the gun back in the safe, and helped me pull the cookies out. 

When we had finished with the cookies and the kitchen was clean again, I made us each a cup of hot chocolate and we sat on the sofa together. "You ready for the funeral?"

"I think so." He whispered. "I just pray that my dad doesn't show up." 

"Even if he does, don't let him make it all about him. This is a day that we're celebrating your moms life."