Saying Goodbye

(JJ's POV)

We had been packing his bags for weeks. He had an open suitcase laying on the floor of his bedroom for probably a month now. I hated lounging around in his room with him, and seeing it there on the floor waiting to be filled. No matter how hard I tried to enjoy the last few weeks I had with him, it was a constant reminder that he was leaving. 

"You have everything you need babe?" I said helping him bring down his last few bags before he needed to leave. 

"Yes, Jay. I have everything. You've got to stop worrying. I took everything I really needed last week. All I have left is these last few things."

He grabbed the bag from my hands and pulled his suit case behind him as he walked toward his truck. I really was so happy for him to start this life. He had done so well and school, in addition to his football scholarship, he was going to school completely paid for. He shut the door to his truck with a smile on his face. I knew he would miss me, but I also knew he was very excited for this new chapter in his life. 

Jake had spent the summer practicing with the school's team and made his way to the second string varsity quarterback. Which is an extreme accomplishment for a freshman. He could not be going into his freshman year with better luck. 

My dad promised me that if I continued to keep up my 4.0 GPA then I would be able to attend any game or bowl game Jake played in. 

Things were looking good for us. I only have two years of school left, and really that isn't a lot of time at all in the long run. 

Jake walked back to the front door where I was leaning against the frame with the door wide open. He smiled as he approached me and held my face in his hands as he pulled me in for a sweet kiss. His arms fell to the small of my back as he pulled me into him to deepen the kiss. Things may have gotten out of control if Tom hadn't walked up and interruptingly coughed. Which was his way of saying get a room!

I laughed as he kissed my forehead to say we'll continue this later

My mom had hamburgers cooking in the back and we all had dinner together one last time before Jake had to leave. Jared and my dad were both home still for their summer break. I don't who was going to miss Jake more, me or my dad... 

He had really come to love Jake these last few months and always said how proud of him he was. Which I really liked because everyone talks about how horrible their in laws are, but my husband will love them. 

We finished our hamburgers and all realized that it was getting late. Jake said his goodbyes and then  grabbed my hand leading me into the house. "Hey, let me take you for ice cream one last time before I have to leave." 

I smiled a cheesy smile, "Okay! Let me go get some shoes on. I'll meet you in your truck." 

He kissed my cheek and grabbed his keys heading out the door. I threw on a pair of converse while grabbing my jacket and headed out the door. I jumped into his passenger seat and buckled up just as he started to drive off. 

He had turned up the radio almost blasting as we rolled the windows down listening to the Chris Ladoux version of Life is a Highway. Jake was such a dork riding with his hat turned back and practically screaming the lyrics. He just made me smile even more as he grabbed my hand lacing my fingers in with his. 

We drove forever and I started to wonder where we were going. Eventually we reached a small old drive-in diner. Girls were skating around on roller blades and it was a classic 80's restaurant. We walked inside and he ordered two chocolate milkshakes to go. After a few minutes we were back on the road again. He blasted the music again and a song by Brad Pailsey called I'm Still a Guy came on. Jake loved that song and it always made him laugh.