Spring Break - Good Morning

The next morning I turned over in the bed of the truck surrounded by pillows and blankets. I felt around for Jake and realized he wasn't there anymore. I sat up to look around for him and noticed he was sitting on the bank of the river on his phone. I could hardly hear what he was saying, but I tried to decipher what was going on. 

"Look, I don't care what you want... I'm with Jay for the week... no I don't want to see you right now... what's up with you and money... why would I want your money."

I walked up to him and wrapped my arms around his back and snuggled into him. He laced his fingers in with mine while still talking on the phone. 

"Look, I'm sorry things ended the way they did. I just need a break. A break from... a break from you." He quickly hung up his phone.  I knew Jake better than anyone and could tell he was really upset. 

I rested my chin on his shoulder with my arms still around him. "What's going on babe?"

"Just my dad." He said quickly.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

He turned around and pulled me onto his lap. "He just wants me to go back to New York with him once Tom goes home. He doesn't like me staying with the Padalecki's." I stood there shocked not knowing what to say.

"Can he make you do that?" I said softly.

"Yeah, legally he can until October when I turn eighteen."

"Well can't we fight this? My dad had lawyers, and you've lived with us so long, and what would I do without you and-"

He cut me off, "Jay, calm down." He chuckled, "He can't take me for the summer because I technically have to be with my Aunt. But for August and September I would have to be with him in New York."

"Why in the hell does it always have to be like this? Me in Vancouver. You in New York. It's just bull shit."

He laughed, "Woah babe. Okay we'll get this figured out." He pulled me into him and kissed the top of my head. "Trust me. It'll all work out."

We sat there on the bank of the morning for a few minutes enjoying the quiet. His phone then started to ring again, "Well there's my alarm. We better head out."

We stood up and hurried to put the fishing poles in the backseat of the truck. I folded the blankets and put them and the pillows on the floor. 

We were back to my house by ten and he pulled into the drive way. My dad was sitting on a stool waxing his motorcycle. He had oddly enjoyed going for rides with my mom on Sunday evenings when they weren't filming. 

Jake grabbed the fishing poles and put them away in our garage while I ran up to my dad and hugged him. Tom walked out through the garage and started helping Jake. "So what exactly did you guys do last night." Tom said smirking at Jake.

Jake just shrugged his shoulders, "I just showed her how to fly fish and then we had dinner and talked under the stars and slept on pillows and blankets in the back of the truck."

"Just slept?" He made emphasis on the word slept. "Please tell me you used protection."

Jake glared at him. "Shut up before I knock your smart mouth to the ground."

My dad laughed, "Come on Jake, he's just joking. We know you kids and I trust you."

"He needs to learn to hold his tongue when talking about my girl." He practically yelled. "I don't go around calling Halle a slut, do I?"

Everyone was completely shocked. My dad got up and walked towards Jake. "Son get in the truck," he said calmly. 

Jake didn't argue and walked around to the passenger side getting in. My dad got in and drove away.