Happy Halloween (part 2)

(JJ's POV)

I hardly ever drove anywhere, let alone his giant diesel Ford. Back in the driveway, Jake was ugly crying. These big alligator tears were streaming down his face. Now, he just sat leaning against the window, tears still streaming down his face, watching the scenery that passed. I tried to talk to him, but he would only say a few words. 

"Did the officer say anything on her condition?" I wondered. 

"No." 

"Well did he say anything about what happened." 

"Not much." 

"Well, did he-"

"JJ, can we just drive?" He disputed and reached to turn on the radio. He had a country music station playing, that happened to be playing a song by Tim McGraw called Please Remember Me. He changed the station and the song playing was Five More Minutes by Scotty McCreery. Finally, he just turned the whole radio off. I knew he was mad, and sad, and furious all at the same time. 

"Jake, she's going to be okay." 

"You don't know that!" 

"I do know that! What does our family say? We do we practically live off of?" With his lack of response, I answered, "We always keep fighting, Jake. Your mom is a fighter. She will make it." He didn't say anything after that until we pulled up to the hospital. He walked around to the drivers seat door and opened it, blocking me from getting out. 

"Hey," He rested both hands on my legs, "Thank you for coming with me. I probably would have wrecked or done something worse if I drove myself." 

"Nothing would stop me from coming." I grabbed his chin and pulled him closer to me, "I love you." I said, right before softly pecking his lips with mine. He smiled and grabbed my hand to help me down. 

We raced inside the hospital, and within minutes we were in his moms room. A doctor stood at her bedside. The scene looked horrible. She had a tube running in her mouth and down her throat. IV's were connected to her in so many places, and she had a monitor beeping with every heartbeat. Her hands were cuff linked to the bed as well. 

"What can you tell us, Doctor?"

"Are you Jake?" He asked with the clipboard in his hand.

"Yes." 

"Okay, you can stay and I will fill you in." He looked to me, "But I'm sorry, you'll have to step out. I can only have family in the room." 

"She's my girlfriend." Jake stood proudly, not letting go of my hand so I could leave. 

"I see. I can make an exception this time then." He began to explain her condition, but I couldn't listen to a word of it. All I could think about was Jake calling me his girlfriend again. Had we made things official again already? I guess so? 

We sat together in a chair watching the news, as we waited for her condition to get better. I worried for Jake, knowing she was slowly getting worse. We hadn't even had the chance to talk to her yet, since she was still in a coma.

At eleven o'clock I turned to Jake and said, "Hey, the news is just filled with crap and drama. Let's turn it off and Just talk to each other." His moms room had her hospital bed, a small chair, and then a recliner facing the TV screen, parallel to the bed. He held me in his arms and wouldn't let go. It wasn't like a cuddle, but more like he was holding on for dear life. "Jake, loosen up. I'm not going anywhere." 

He relaxed. "I'm sorry JJ. I know her time is just about up, and I can't bear to lose anyone else." 

"Hey," I had tears glossing over my eyes now too, "I'm right here. I'm here for good. I'm not going anywhere." I kissed his forehead, and wrapped my arms around his torso as he held me close to him. We talked for about another hour about school, our friends, what he had planned for his next year.