The Ranch

(JJ's POV)

Jake and I had been driving for almost five hours when my stomach started to growl. It was at this point that I wished we had just flown. Today was Tuesday though and we needed to get to California before the end of the night to make funeral plans, and help Jake's grandpa with everything. 

I looked at the clock and saw that it was one o'clock and we had been on the road forever. "Hey babe, I'm starving. Can we stop for some food?"

He just smiled, "I guess we need food to live huh?" I just glared at him for making fun of me. "Yeah, lets go get you something to eat." We had just passed the sign that said "Entering Phoenix Arizona" and we pulled into an In and Out Burger parking lot. "I'll just run inside and get some food. You stay here and I'll keep the truck running." He smiled and ran off inside. 

I started getting chilly, but I knew that Jake liked to drive with the air conditioning on and I didn't want to make the drive feel like a sauna for him While we drove for the next twelve more hours. So I grabbed his jacket from the back seat and put it on while I sat in the seat and waited. I felt his phone in the pocket buzzing, so I reached my hand in and pulled his phone out. When I did, a little black ring box fell to the floor. I gasped so hard I think I completely filled my lungs with air. I hurried to pick it up, and it was empty???

I started to panic and hurried to call Hallie. She picked up after three rings, "Hello?"

"Hallie!! I'm driving with Jake and he's inside the restaurant getting food. But I found a black ring box in his jacket! Do you know anything about this?"

"Uhhh... no. Was there a ring in it?"

"No it's empty?" I was still freaking out, "What the heck Hal, why would he have one of these??"

(Hallie's POV)

I had to think fast and make something up. "Um, maybe his mom has a family ring that he's going to inherit or something and he wanted to be prepared?"

"Are you sure?" I asked still completely shocked. 

"Yeah, if he was going to propose I would know about it. And Tom hasn't said anything to me, or your parents. I think you're good."

"Okay, you're right. Oh shoot! He's almost back, I'm gonna put the box and jacket back. I'll call you later." She hung up the phone and Jensen walked in the room just seconds later. 

"Jensen, JJ found the engagement rings box." 

"She did?" He asked worried. "Oh no, I gotta call Jake." 

(Jake's POV)

I grabbed the food from the cashier, thanked her, and headed out to the car. When I hopped in JJ sat there with a suspiciously awkward smile on her face. "What's going on?" I questioned. 

"Nothing. Your phone rang and I was looking to see who it was." She mumbled frantically.

"Okay..." I grabbed my phone and saw that Jensen was calling me. "Hey sir!" 

"Jake, are you with JJ?"

"Yeah...? Why?"

"Step out of the truck for a second." I stepped out of the truck and held my finger up to say one second before shutting the door and turning my back to her.  "Hey, she found the ring box. It didn't have the ring in it, did it?" 

"No, there's no way. It's still in my pocket right now." I reached in my shirt pocket and pulled it out looking it over. "Yep still with me." I said before returning it to it's place. 

"Good. Hallie said that you had they ring box for a ring that you were inheriting or something. If she asks, just go with that story." 

"Okay, will do."