Two Truths and A Lie

Joe's P.O.V

"Caspar this looks like a good place to unsaddle for the night, we can still keep an eye on the cattle since the fence doesn't end for another few miles."

"Alright wooh Star easy boy."

He says to his horse as he gets down tying them to a post we brought with us, I get some wood to start a fire and we soon have a nice sized one.

"Pork and beans are on the menu tonight I brought some beer as well."

I smile Caspar grins grabbing a can and beer we use our knifes to open them and we start eating sitting in silence.

"Hopefully we'll be able to get all the cattle back towards the ranch tomorrow I'm ready to sleep in my own bed."

"As am I but I wouldn't trade this life for anything."

"I wouldn't either."

We knock our cans together before drinking the whole can the next few hours we drink through a six case each.

"Hey hey hey Joe let's play a game."

"What one Casp?"

"You just spat on me you ass!"

He chuckles laying on his sleeping bag before thinking.

"Let's play two thruths and a lie."

"Thruths?"

"Tr-uths."

"Okay you firsts."

"Alright first um once I shoved two pennies up my nose, second I drank my own piss, third my father was a black smith."

"Umm I think that the two pennies things a lie."

"Nope."

"You drank your own piss that is gross."

"It wasn't on purpose look I don't wanna talk about it you're turn."

I think for a few minutes before I smile.

"First I enjoy eating black beans with mustard I sleep naked with my socks on when it's too hot, lastly my sister once shoved me into a cactus."

"The naked one is the lie."

"That is a truth only when I'm home alone and it's really hot."

"The  cactus one?"

"Nope that is true I can't stand eating black beans with mustard why would you think it was the truth?"

"You are a strange man Joe okay my turn now let's see what else there is. One my sister told me I was adopted when I was younger and that my real parents where cows. Two my biggest dream is owning a prize winning bull. Three I actually have feelings for you but have always been too afraid to tell you."

"Obviously the truth is the adopted one and the prize bull."

"Actually you're wrong my biggest dream is settling down with the love of my life and starting a family."

"Wait you like me?"

I ask trying to get past the buzzing feeling I have to look over at him and he nods his head. I chuckle to myself and he looks at me.

"Caspar buddy stop messing around that isn't how the game works I think you've drank too much."

"I'm serious Joe."

I continue to look at him before scratching the back of my neck.

"Caspar I'm sorry but I don't feel the same way as you do."

He bites his lip nodding before rolling away I put the fire out with some sand not understanding why i feel a hole in my stomach after telling him that. I yawn slowly falling asleep the sound of the cattle chewing grass lulling me to sleep.

When I wake up the next morning I look around confused as to why there isn't a tall blond sleeping across from me.

"Caspar where are you?"

I call moving towards my saddle bags I see a folded piece of paper with his hand writing on the front.

Dear Joe

I'm so sorry about last night I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable if I did.

But I needed to get my feelings for you off my chest, you don't have to feel bad this

is a decision I have made on my own. That being I have decided to work on another

part of the mountains I can't be there with you anymore. Not only do I have to think

about how awkward you must have felt I also need to think about me.  Don't worry

about it I won't bother you again.

-Caspar

A tear goes down my cheek as I hold the note to my chest tightly I screwed up big time. I yell his name begging for him to come back stopping at the pounding in my head.

"Caspar I care for you too."

I whisper falling onto my sleeping bag I'll never see him again I'll never get the image of his crushed expression from my mind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this is what you wanted thank you for requesting :)

Dedicated to: cupofno