Chapter 14: Draining Chakra

"Do you think Jiraiya-sensei will find and help us?" Nia asked the only other person in the cavern with her.

"Probably not." Naruto answered, keeping his pace slightly ahead of Nia's, "Well, that depends if he ends up getting drunk or not."

Nia sighed, "You're right... We're screwed if we never find a way out."

"You shouldn't give up so quickly." The male attempted to calm his friend's anxiousness.

Nia smiled.

As long as he's with me, I'll probably be fine.

"We're screwed the moment those ghosts show themselves, y'know? So don't give up till then, Curly Brow."

The kunoichi frowned then said, "How long are you gonna keep acting this way?! Ghosts. Aren't. Reaaal."

"Okay okay, I'll stop." Naruto chuckled.

" Naruto chuckled

Nia sighed.

'Maybe I'm more in danger as long as I'm with him...'

The two continued wandering around. During this time, rats and other small critters scurried across the floors or run up the walls. Since she has a fear of rats, Nia kept getting closer and closer into Naruto's personal space.

He didn't seem to notice and kept a watch out for dead souls of the past.

Suddenly, while Nia wasn't on guard, a huge furry beast sprinted over her sandals.

"AHHHHHH!" She freaked out and jumped repeatedly on each foot, "Get away from me! Get awaaaaaay!"

Her rising panic reached Naruto also and he frantically looked around with a kunai in hand, "What is it, Curly Brow?! Did a ghost show up?!"

"N-No..." She whimpered as she tried to control her breathing, "I... I saw..."

"What'd you see?" Naruto kept his guard up, "You're freaking me out! Did you really see a ghost?!"

"I saw a rat okay!"

Naruto sweat-dropped, "A rat? Really...?"

"Yeah! It was all hairy, huge, and mean-looking; You should've seen it, Naruto."

A few seconds passed by with Naruto biting his lip then instantly, he bursted out in a fit of laughter.

"It's not funny!" Nia got embarrassed.

"Y-Yeah it is!" The blonde continued laughing, "Y-You... You call me out on ghosts, b-but- ahahaha, you're scared of r-rats. Who's the scardy-cat now? I can't tell!"

"Naruto...!"

For about a minute, the genin poked fun at his sibling student; Oh how badly Nia wanted to tell him to go off in another direction! However, she didn't do that. The moment was special to her. She never really knew what it was like to make a guy laugh so hard unintentionally. It warmed her heart to have experienced something as small as that.