Chapter Forty-Nine

Ashley's POV~

Joey and I sat at the diner all day, that was until we had to go back to our room.

I stood at the giant window, overlooking the forest and mountains. Even though I've lived in Tennessee my whole life, my parents never took me to see the Smoky mountains. I never traveled.

"Sweetheart," Joey spoke, placing his hand on my hip. "Whatcha thinking about?"

I shrugged, "I don't know really. A little of everything."

"Like what?" He asked. 

I turned around and leaned against the wall next to me. I sighed, "I know my life wasn't terrible, but promise me that our children will have a different life."

"Of course, but what do you mean?" He responded.

"I want our children feeling loved. I want them to see the world, and not grow up with evil lurking around the corner." I explain.

"Baby, our children are going to have the greatest mom. You love people with every ounce of your heart. You protect to the best of your ability. You're the strongest yet sweetest woman I know. I wouldn't want anyone else to be my wife or the mother of my baby. Okay?" He reassured.

"Okay." I nodded.

"Now, I love you." He smiled.

"I love you too." I whispered.

~*~*~

Joey and I sat at the same table as this morning. Only the mountains and forest shone under the moonlight.

Joey took glances at me while I ate. He smiled, "You look amazing in that dress. Like I said."

I laughed slightly, "I think it fits better now that I'm pregnant."

He grinned as he took a drink of his wine. As he sat the glass down, he spoke, "Either way, you look amazing."

"Thank you." I smile.

"You know, I really like out here." He stated.

"So do I." I commented.

Joey leaned forward, sitting his elbows on the table. "I've done my research on the place," he started.

"Okay," I nodded.

"They have different packages. One; we'll see tomorrow, but they have family packages and different stuff for anniversaries." He continues.

"Okay," I motioned.

"And I was thinking that this could be like a tradition. Just for us." He suggests.

"It sounds great." I smiled.

"You sure?" He asked.

"Of course. It's beautiful out here, I love it." I nodded. He smiled and reached his hand over the table, waiting for mine. I gently placed my hand in his.

"Nothing is as beautiful as you. I love you." He whispered.

"I love you too." I mumbled.

Joey's POV~

I sat there, with her hand secured tightly in mine. I admired her.

As we sat on the deck, being lit by candles and the moonlight, in the dark, my eyes stayed on her. Though the nature that surrounded us was beautiful, Ashley was even more beautiful.

"So," Ashley started, "I know that we're going to Ohio for Thanksgiving, but what about Christmas? I'll be 39 weeks, and I can't travel then."

"We'll figure something out. Whether my parents and Kenny offer to come down, or we can have our own Christmas." I reassured.

"Awh! What if we had a Christmas baby?" She grinned.

"That'd be interesting. I wonder how that'd work out." I commented.

"Although, I kinda want him to be born on his due date. A new year baby." She smiled.

"He'll come when he's ready, babe." I laugh at her enthusiasm. She looked down at her bump and smiled.

"I don't know why we didn't have one sooner." She shrugged.

"God knew when we needed a child. It's all on His timing." I smiled.

"I love moments like this." She stated.

"So do I. I thank God everyday for placing you in my life, giving me you and now our little boy." I whispered, leaning down and kissing her hand.

"I can't wait." She grinned, "I just want to hold him already. Kiss his little head. Dress him in all the cute outfits we bought. Shower him in love."

My lips curled into a smile as she continued to ramble on. It was cute though. She stopped suddenly when she noticed I was admiring her. "No, keep going. I like listening to you talk." I stated.

"I'm ready for him to see the world, see all the beautiful creations that God made." She finished.

"One of the most beautiful creations is sitting right in front of me, and I'm proud to call her my wife." I grinned.

She blushed, "I love you."

"I love you more." I smiled.

"Sorry, to interfere, but the Cove is closing. I have to ask you to leave." A young man said.

"Oh! It's not a problem." I mumbled. I stood up, with Ashley following.

I kept our finger laced as we walked back to our room. She laid her head on my shoulder as we walked. "I wished we lived closer. It's beautiful out here."

"You know I would if I could, baby." I sighed.

"No, I get it. It's our career. As much as I love it out here, it's better to see it at different times than everyday. It makes me appreciate everything a little more." She explained.

"Honestly, I feel like you're right. Seeing a little bit of beautiful things does make me appreciate it more." I agree.

"Like it's not just nature. We've had cases involving homeless people, and my heart breaks for them. It really does, and as much as I try to help them, it makes me appreciate you even more, and our home and family." She stated.

"Have you ever thought of opening your own organization?" I asked.

"Honestly, no." She shook her head.

"Maybe." I shrug.

"Yeah, but we're already so busy. Both of our careers are demanding, and in four months we'll have a little human to care for." She explained.

"Yeah. Just a thought." I mumbled.

"Maybe in the future." She suggested.

"And you know that I'd do anything I could for you. I'd move mountains for you, I'd walk the earth for you. And I know that it's mainly you protecting me, but I'd die for you, Ashley. I love you, and there's nothing I wouldn't do for you." I whispered.

"Oh my, Joey, I swear. You melt my heart." She laughed.

"Well, you built mine." I smiled.

Ashley stopped me as we reached our room. She leaned up and kissed my cheek, "This was the best, baby. I love you."

"I love you more." I grinned.