The Shackled Wife

The Shackled Wife

Prologue

Cassandra Carmichael entered the breakfast room and took her seat across her husband without much of a glance at him. “I'm pregnant.” She announced casually as she grabbed her knife to butter her toast.

Her husband, James didn't look up from the newspaper he was reading. “Good for you.” he said simply, he turned the page of the newspaper and read on. Then he folded the newspaper and put it down, he took a sip of his coffee and looked straight to her. “Who’s the father?” he asked.

She smiled at him. “Well it’s not gonna be you, that’s what I know.” She told him, her words dripping of venom. She wanted to ridicule him, to shame him, to hurt him.

Of course, what did she expect with someone like James? He was heartless, he was as cold as an ice and words won’t ever hurt him. He took his reading glasses off, “I hope you slept with someone with good blood. Then again, it’s you so what do I expect? You don’t actually sleep with someone who doesn’t wear Armani.”

She bit a small portion of her toast acting as if his words didn’t affect her as much as he would want to. She didn’t dare look at him because she feared he’d see the pain in her eyes. “Oh, you’re losing your touch Carmichael.” She said. “But of course, there was nothing really good with your touch.” She leered.

He raised one eyebrow. “There are many women who’d argue with that.”

She chuckled. “I don’t doubt that. You pay them handsomely so how could they actually insult the best customer?"  She said sardonically. 

He threw his table napkin on his plate and glared at her. “I have enough of this pleasant chat with you. What do you want?” he asked. Cassandra smiled to herself, he was getting annoyed with her. This was good, she was getting under his skins again. “Who’s the father?” he asked. “If I find out you met with Hunter, I swear to God Cassandra, there will be hell to pay.” He threatened.

She took a last bite on her toast, picked up the table napkin and wiped the side of her mouth. “As if this isn’t hell enough.” She muttered. She grabbed the glass of water and took a sip. “I’ve grown tired to men wearing Armani, too predictable. I like those who wear Gucci now. Don’t you know it’s all the rage right now. Of course, riding the Vanquish is what I prefer these days.” She said casually. “Haven’t you deduced anything yet Carmichael?”

He rose from his seat and marched towards her, he yanked her up and grip her wrist tightly. His gaze completely murderous. “You slept with that good for nothing Anton Magdayao?” he snarled.

His hold was hurting her and she was actually nervous. She remained as calm as she can be on the outside even when inside she was afraid of the consequences of what she was doing. Taunting him more would get her into so much trouble, she just wanted to be free. "Oh no we made love. And I am leaving you by the way." She sneered, his grip loosened and she pulled as fast as she could. She walked as fast as she could but also as calmly as she could. She stopped when she was at the door she turned her head back towards him and smiled triumphantly. “I told you one day I’d find a way to break me from the shackles the Carmichael name put me on.” she said and walked out of the room.

Her maid, Linda was already waiting outside for her. “The car is ready ma’am.” And led the way out of the house.

She didn’t look at the butler or the maids who were looking at her nervously and who all didn’t know what to expect to do right now. She got out of the house and the driver opened the car door for her, she got inside and the driver quickly got in the driver’s seat and drove on.

She didn’t look back. She knew this was her only way out, she didn’t want to be leg-shackled anymore, she didn’t want to be a prisoner any longer. She wanted to be free. She paid for her sins for seven years now, it was time she got her freedom. 

A/N:

I'm excited to post this story unfortunately I will be busier this 2014 and I won't be able to update this regularly. Still I'll try. Hope you'll support this story. 

Like my Facebook page

Vote and Comment

till next time...